Cogency

3D Mark 11 - Now Timespy!

cpu clocks should be pushing 4.8 to 5.1

Gpu should hit 2100

Based on that score should be low 20's

I still haven't played further beyond flashing the RTX3080 and adding in resizeable bar. That does mean I have lost my windows recovery partition because I had to convert my primary disk from MBR to GPT.

I've ordered the alphacool waterblock now, but it is not on general sale so I'm waiting for them to manufacture it. Eventually I'll reformat all my disks and start tinkering. It's been close to a decade since my last reformat!

The CPU boosts to 5000+, so that is good, the GPU boots very infrequently, keeps hitting powerlimit, its a TUF card, so pretty strict budget, gonna see if I can undervolt it, it runs at 1940 on average, boosts to ~2020. There is no way a 3090 can hit 2100 properly.

My motherboard does not seem to have PBO2 yet, despite running AEGESA 1.2.0.2, so no curve optimizer, which is a shame.

MSI afterburner is giving me much better results than Asus GPU Tweak, last nights using MSI afterburener resulted in this:

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING (3dmark.com)

Fun to see the progression!

timespy_progression.JPG

Edited by Ernesto

Oooo the glorious mess at first!

20210428_191756.jpg

Now tidy! Observe how one of the spiky cooling thingies on top of the GPU backplate is crooked! I was doing it with poor lighting just going by touch, didn't notice it was off until it was too late!

Helped cool down the backplate a bunch of degrees and in turn the whole GPU!

20210428_231226.jpg

Edited by Ernesto

Your CPU score is unchanged.

Which would suggest that the CPU boost is not happening whilst the test is running otherwise it would read 3400 (5000) and the score would be significantly higher

SO now the GPU is sorted, if you can get the GPU to run fully boosted you should easily break 20k

I will go and try to overclock some shit!

I got a godlike 3080 but not godlike gfx OC skills. (as in never done that)

Ran Coretuner for Ryzen and while it gave me a 15% boost in cinebench, I was unable to get it to run stable on single core tests. The GPU clock was also not totally stable in heavy games, so brought it all back down for now - Spent a good 8 hours last night tinkering, but the results weren't that great - I am gonna explore undervolting with Curve Optimizer instead I think, the temperatures are much much nicer and I can run the computer silent, even under load, with the overclocks I get to 75+ and I start ramping up fans at 60c so they run at 100% at 80c - Not great for the atmosphere at the gaming table.

FPS gains in games was neglible to be honest, it was mostly just louder and warmer - Was sure nice to dial in clocks independent of cores to utilize things to the max, but I think I am gonna head the other direction and try to reduce power - Dropping voltages even gives me some performance gains - Not as large as the proper overclocking, but more performance, cooler stuff is a better win win situation.

Can you run the game ina resolution you are happy with at Ultra settings at over 100 fps ? 

Yes.

Dont bother overclocking

No 

Tinker, but dont forget to actually play the damn game .....

He doesn't run games, he afk's so he is only powering his 3D screensaver.

I have a negative 20 offset running at the moment, in games all core is hovering around 4750 to 4900 with spikes boosting to 5.1.

It's funny seeing the 3dmark cpu score increase with every 5 offset I am putting in, but it isn't really affecting the gpu score. However, I am getting less heat, which means less cooling required, which means less fan speed to keep the CPU at 65ish

Oh, I noticed reduced performance from stock with pbo default settings, and somewhere in between with auto oc settings. The CPU is pretty good at sorting itself out with the temperature and power available limits it uses, so less voltage gives it more room. The interesting part is where the lowest point it can take is without becoming unstable in any situation, even when idling 

I refuse to reformat. It is cool to have old drivers from 2015 for your intel z170 motherboard while using a x570.

I uninstalled all games from 1 SSD and it still had 140GB being used, couldn't see it anywhere. I did delete the partitions, converted it into GUID based, then did the over provision thing and it looked nice and empty. However the drive did take a while to trim, which I don't think I'd ever done. If this was the issue that is a lot of space to have wasted!