Sign in to follow this  
Fox

North & South Korea

I've been following these two closely for some time now.

Anyone else interested/concerned about this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11825445

Quite a good explanation of the current situation.

North Korea is begging for some asskicking. And has been for a long time. But no one but them wants to start a war. And they don't want to "offically" start it. But instead get a reason so they can blame it on the South Korea.

In March, a South Korean warship sank near the border with the loss of 46 lives. International investigators say a North Korean torpedo sank the ship, although North has denied any role in the incident.

The Korean war ended at 1953 but there was never any peace treaties made.

Heres some numbers for comparison:

North korea has $~5bn military budget, when South has 5times that, $24.5bn.

North Korea does have 1.1 million soldiers when the South only has 687 thousand. But the South has access to USA/EU aid and technology/weapons. So that evens it out.

The North Korea can be pretty much drained out economicly by the world as well. They have tried to be independent on everything. But they simply can't. It costs too much.

China is North Koreas "last ally". But even China won't acknowledge/offically allow the North attacking the South. Because if they did, rest of the world would condemn them as well. China is trying to get rid of the "bad country" reputation.

But there is kind of no use to threaten China with anything. Because they will retaliate with similar means and double it. Like if USA stopped trading with them... They would do something similar.

Anyway its about time South Korea stops being a pussy. And finally gives some proper warnings back.

Quote:
The South Korean president called the incident "an invasion of South Korean territory", and warned that future provocations could be met with "enormous retaliation", including missile strikes on North Korean positions.

No one likes war. And North Korea does have its own ways. And the people there are quite effectively mind washed. But that country can not be turned into a non communist country in a long time. The people there would probably be even more frantic about defending their own country than the Al Quaidas.

And we have our very own Ginnunga at South Korea as well. Platores! If a war beings, he will have to stop playing SC2 Sad

But I still wonder why has the world let North Korea be like this and do what they want for this long. Probably because of China. But China has changed a lot lately and North Korea is slowly left by themselves. Like Russia abandoned North Korea a long time ago. When they used to be friendly.

Rumors/facts:

North Korea could delevel South Koreas capital Seoul in 2 hours with its artillery. North has quite huge artillery power. And could wreck great havoc if it was all to be used.

South Korea would and will have total air superiority. So the North would not be able to do much after the initial strikes.

But time will tell whats going to happen. Now and after the sick ruler of North dies and his son takes over.

edit add:

Some comments from Chinese normal citizens about the Korean war, I think some are quite surprising answers.

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2010/11/24/north-korean-a ttack-chinese-reactions/

http://www.chinasmack.com/2010/stories/north-korean-artiller y-attack-chinese-netizen-reactions.html

Toggle Spoiler
Bastard North Korea, can

Eaglix wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 09:18
If there weren't rumours that N-K has nuclear weapons, the 'country' wouldn't last long.

The nuclear weapon capabilities they have are very primitive according to some sources which I can't remember.

It would take them 10+ years to get those nuclear weapons to do any significant damage. At the current state someone suspects the North Korea has capabilities of. The nuclear explosion would at the best be something like a huge "normal" bomb. Except the radiation added to it afterwards.

Quote:
Except the radiation added to it afterwards.

That's what changes everything. There is no little bomb when it comes to nuclear ones.

Sure, let the "Us-and-them"-drive (which is a drive just like the sexdrive) loose when you play games and pick up chicks, but when it comes to situations where it hurts people like racism and policies between countries you can go and stuff it in the chocolate starfish. Heart

Yes, we are the ones not allowing others to visit our country without the supervision of a guide, not allowing or own citizens to leave the country for a trip/whatever and closing itsself from and for the rest of the world ... mjeah ...

Eaglix wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 09:28
Quote:
Except the radiation added to it afterwards.

That's what changes everything. There is no little bomb when it comes to nuclear ones.

No actually these are little bombs compared to the more advanced ones USA, Russia & China has. Like comparing an ant poop with elephants poop.

The radiation as well. When its at such a low level. It will be more easily contained/counter measured as well.

Eaglix wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 09:53
Just a little well aimed poop in one city can crash a country/several countries.

They are more scared of what will happen in the 10 years if they are just let to continue their nuclear weapon research. Than them actually using those at the moment. At least thats what I think.

Thats why they want to stop that now. When they can't do much damage. When they can in 10 years, wreck the whole South Korea with a few well aimed+calculated bombs. Or any other country closeby.

And South Korea recieves so much help from the USA, that they would be given refuge at USA soil most likely if the country became unhabitable.

And by recieving aid from USA, the USA gains a lot as well. A key strategic position at Asia.

It's funny that some news places etc say "If NK is unlucky and hits an american garrison..."

Unlucky. :) Dont poke the bear.

Naicha wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 10:03
It's funny that some news places etc say "If NK is unlucky and hits an american garrison..."

Unlucky. :) Dont poke the bear.

Or injures a citizen of theirs. Or even worse a soldier.

To put it short:

Someone attacks North Korea -> China goes to their aid -> World War III at hands.

edit:

I wouldn

NK gets off with everything, it was especially funny when the whole Iraq ordeal started.

Bush - "We know you have weapons of mass destruction Iraq!"

Iraq - "Wtf, we don't"

NK - "We are doing science on it now!"

Bush - "We are invading Iraq because they have weapons of mass destruction"

Iraq - "But we don't have any weapons of mass destruction"

NK - "Herro? We're blowing first testnuke next week"

Bush - "We're not talking to you NK, we have beef with Iraq!"

It was a single incident. But these incidents have been happening quite often. So its starting to become a habit.

North Korea bullying South, testing how far they can go, how much is the South willing to take.

And Ulti:

Janne wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 10:31

I wouldn

It's down the crapper however it goes, Afghanistan got help from the US to be "liberated" from the russians, Iraq got help getting "liberated" from all kinds of "threats", both turned on the US at a later date, Israel is getting loads of "liberation" from the US as of now, they're helping SK and most probably a dozen other places noone knows, they're all gonna turn their backs on the US in time.

This situation hoever will most probably end with NK attacking under the new rule, the world retaliating in full, China standing back watching what happens and uses that to end exports to the US etc, full blown WW3, everyone loses.

foxdies wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 10:38
It was a single incident. But these incidents have been happening quite often. So its starting to become a habit.

North Korea bullying South, testing how far they can go, how much is the South willing to take.

Israel - Palestine

charnel wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 10:42
Veles wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 10:37
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baba_Vanga

Enjoy!!!

Wtf! I predict the WW3 will start in 2079!

what it does not say here is that she predicted WW3 for November 2010, which would last till 2014. Also she predicted usage of nuclear weapons and chemical weapons which will pretty much end most of the life on Earth.

Gonna get huge loan now, buy Ferrari and few expensive "girls of the night" and enjoy this last few years :D

Anyone here who is familiar with "Zeitgeist" and the world domination plan. Might understand me Wink (You can and should see if you havn't Zeitgeist, by typing it into Google).

I kind of believe Zeitgeist. And I think this is all to make the "normal" people more scared (threats of WW3, etc). And scared people will become desperate. And desperate people are willing to do anything.

Accept unfavorable, unreasonable laws. Support the wrong decisions. And being closely followed, restricted life, drowned in darkness. Made into simpler beings. Only caring about the TV, silly series. Not caring about what happens in the world or next door. Only thinking of themselves and maybe their closest people.

And we will have no mind of our own. Reading and following what the news tells us. Even if its not true or only one side of the truth. I believe the "cencorship" of the Western countries is far more greater than what China has. But it also is harder to detect or even find out about it. People do not question most of the things nowdays anymore. We take things for granted. We do not value things/rights/other people or realize the value of those things before we loose those... One by one.

My view of the world is quite dark and that we have no hope. But that is one of the reasons I think I can live the way I want. Not taking too much pressures of anything. And live "one day at a time". Which I think is quite stress free life. I know I will survive just fine in this life. Kind of like having some degree of "freedom" compared to when most of the people put chains on themselves, what they can and can't be or become.

I don't think that they are going to make the world unhabitable. They need the rest of us to do the every day work for them.

But I just live one day at a time anyway. I do not care/worry about if I'm goign to die tomorrow or in 80 years.

Probably got de-railed. But kind of explaining my views. And why we won't all suffer a horrible death.

War is profitable business for China, Russia, USA etc. So that is why there must always be wars. If there are no good wars, one will be created.

Map of every "single incident" over there:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/nov/23/north-ko rea-yeonpyeong-island-incidents-map

I don't think China cares enough about NK after all that crap they are pulling, but who knows. So far they just used them as a buffer zone against western influence.

My wife's family lives in a chinese city directly at the NK border btw, can swim over there... or drive a bit and hop over a fence. I don't want any war near that region. I just hope after Kim Jong Il dies, North Koreans lol at the son, take him down, instate a proper government, sanctions get lifted, so all benefit. Probably won't happen though.

China isnt gonna back north korea when the shit hits the fan. their fragile relationship with the western world is way more important to them. they will just roll into north korea themselves and turn north korea into 1 big parking lot

North Koreans are like the most friendly people I've ever met though. Had a bunch of Koreans in suits in our train section once, and they always tried to have conversations with me with their suboptimal english and were extremely friendly. Such a shame they have a crazy evil dictator ruining their country. I blame Russia though.

Generally the Asian people are the most friendliest people to us Westerners.

Because its part of their culture respecting others. In some parts of Asia its more "stronger" than in other parts.

As an example, older Chinese people "the traditional ones". They will do anything for you pretty much. If you just choose their store once. And pay that 0.2

What on earth would South Korea get out of attacking North Korea?

If there is one thing that you would think history has shown over and over again, it's that armed conflicts does nothing but breed hate and destroy lives.

If South Korea attacked or caused destruction/harm to North Korea, there would be just be +200 years of the current goverment, because they would have all the proof in the world to their "south is bad" campaigne.

South Korea should ackownlegde the attack and send them flowers instead.

I dont think much more will happen. Nkorea will tell their people the evil south koreans tried to attack them but they fought them off! strong! but the big evil world is siding with south korea, but dont worry you have strong leader and soon strong leaders son to take care of you. Nothing will happen, we are save! all worship me.

And the dictator blabla continues.

propaganda

Calyn wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 12:12
North Koreans are like the most friendly people I've ever met though. Had a bunch of Koreans in suits in our train section once, and they always tried to have conversations with me with their suboptimal english and were extremely friendly. Such a shame they have a crazy evil dictator ruining their country. I blame Russia though.

Problem with living under a crazy regime is that you become crazy yourself also, that is sort of the whole idea behind a closed totalitarian regime.

If like, NK went to war with SK, 95% of all NK population would believe that it was because the evil SK satan attacked them and killed their children etc etc. Even highly educated, open and "democratic" societies believe shit like that, so mjeh. It is a horrible situation because you can't really help them =(

its the same with ginnunga. when ernesto charges into a mob of ppl the rest of the guild points and laughs.. wait what?

Ernesto wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 12:31
Calyn wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 12:12

Problem with living under a crazy regime is that you become crazy yourself also, that is sort of the whole idea behind a closed totalitarian regime.

If like, NK went to war with SK, 95% of all NK population would believe that it was because the evil SK satan attacked them and killed their children etc etc. Even highly educated, open and "democratic" societies believe shit like that, so mjeh. It is a horrible situation because you can't really help them =(

+1

The only difference is that in "democratic" countries the media is not under state control, but in a "i scratch your back and you'll scratch mine" symbios with the politicians. If it's printed in a paper it must be the truth, just like on the interweb...

Sign in to follow this