Coots

Game of Thrones

I'm looking forward to this. Question is, will he get the last book done before the show catches up?

5 years and counting... *sigh*

Foxdies wrote on Tue, 15 June 2010 10:06
whats it about

You should read the Book - George R.R. Martin: A Song of Ice and Fire.

It is a must read. One of the best - if not the best- Fantasy series of all time.

What, postponed again? Sad

The fourth wasn't as good as the first three (imo) and Martin has written himself against the wall pretty nicely, so I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Toggle Spoiler
I want Arya to do something useful for once...

Also: Don't think I wanna see that movie. Not even the Lord of the Rings (which was arguably a pretty good fantasy book adaption, thanks to being shot in one go) blew me away.

It won't be a movie though, it's a tv show.

But yeah, it was supposed to begin in the end of 2010. Sucks.

I am very fearful that the final book(s) will turn into standard fare high fantasy. Cautiously hopeful about the tv series.

Neara wrote on Tue, 15 June 2010 20:31
Not even the Lord of the Rings blew me away.

I just noticed this.. Something is wrong with you Flo, first this and then the Expendables comment, i think you might be Gentlefox' sister ;p

Drexa wrote on Wed, 15 September 2010 00:18

I just noticed this.. Something is wrong with you Flo, first this and then the Expendables comment, i think you might be Gentlefox' sister ;p

Guess why I never post on these forums!

(LotR was great, just not as good as the books, obviously.)

They left out Tom fucking Bombadil, come on.

@Argee

I'm more worried about Martin not being able to untangle the mess he's written himself into. Two more books, btw.

Neara wrote on Wed, 15 September 2010 18:39
@Argee

I'm more worried about Martin not being able to untangle the mess he's written himself into. Two more books, btw.

Yeah that's pretty much what I meant. Seems to me like the only way to get everything sorted he will end up doing something along the lines of (massive spoiler)

Toggle Spoiler
Having John Snow and Daenerys meet up and use dragons to kill evil frozen ones from the deep, dark north. Hence high fantasy and magics.

Argee wrote on Fri, 17 September 2010 11:37

Yeah that's pretty much what I meant. Seems to me like the only way to get everything sorted he will end up doing something along the lines of (massive spoiler)

Toggle Spoiler
Having John Snow and Daenerys meet up and use dragons to kill evil frozen ones from the deep, dark north. Hence high fantasy and magics.

Knowing his style, he won't end it like that.

Toggle Spoiler
Dany besieging King's Landing while the Others breach through the wall and overrun the rest of Westeros (which is, for the most parts, already crumbling from within). Blood, fire, dead Starks. Sounds more like him :P.

I'm quietly hopeful for this series after seeing the superb job which HBO did with Rome, Band of Brothers, Pacific. In stark contrast to ABC's Legend of the Seeker.

I also agree that George R R Martin is one of the best fantasy authors, he's right up there with Robert Jordan.