Sign in to follow this  
Ernesto

Watercooling your graphicscard, the noob way

When running SLI, especially with aftermarket coolers that are not of the blower design, the top card tends to run very hot, unless you have an ATX-E style motherboard with more x16 PCI-e slots so you can space the cards out further.

This means, that even using cards with great coolers, like the Asus Strix series, the cards hit thermal throttling, pretty much no matter what you do - The air between the cards simply will not move enough.

I have fought against that by adding fans on the side that with brute force pushes the air in between the cards ever since I first started using SLI in 2006.

In 2017(?), NZXT released an update to their solution on how to mount AIO coolers on graphics cards, the NZXT Kraken G12 (Update from the G10) with an improved mounting solution. I was gonna do this back then, but since lazy, I never bothered. Thanks to Sinful gifting me a gift card at a computer store, I went for it.

I was able to keep the backplate and the strengthening bracket.

Idle temp went down a few degrees in a cold system, and load temps went from 83c (Throttle max) to ~49-50c.

Since there is no residual heat in the case anymore, every component is now cooler, and I removed 3 case fans.

Only downside currently, is that I am using stock fans, both for the GPU bracket as well as the radiators, and the 92mm fans on the gpu brackets run at 100% all the time.

Yeah, there is no build log.

Here is the result on my Asus 980TI Strix cards:

nzxt_kraken_g12_asus_strix_980ti.jpg

Every time you talk about SLI it sounds really good and not a hassle at all.

Also I noticed a severe lack of flashing lights and colors in your photograph. I believe the kids refer to it as RGB. Please amend.

980ti ????

even 2 of them, sigh. Ern, get serious, get a 2080ti, just sell one of the little ones to pay for it .....

it's so clean. I bet that will change now you've removed the case fans. You have my case in white?

Edited by Kunasha

There are still 4 case fans and the 4 radiator fans, just 3 less case fans. It's the Enthoo Primo.

Can't buy a 2080ti since it performs the same as these fuckers. Would suck to pay 1300 euro for nothing at all hehe.

yup, same case

EDIT: I updated my picture

case.jpg

I have 2 intake at front 1 output at back (those 3 that came with the case), then 2 that pull from bottom of the case up through 1 radiator, and 3 that push put through the top radiator and out of the case and I still get a little dust

No idea how to fix, but I do have more fans I could add

Edited by Kunasha

You will always get a little dust even with positive air pressure. The fters let's things in and vortexes will suck dust through other openings. Just blow it with air, or be a baller like me, risk it with a vaccum!

no not at all sure, but it was there so I hooked it up anyway :D

If you are not using the lower drivecage, I would stick it there, to further increase positive pressure, perhaps.

Can also have the back one suck air in teh case. Some cooler air for the vrm's and ram. 

I still have 3 HDD in the lower drive cage, but the two front fans that come with the case blow in other them anyway.

Considering I've not opened the case for at least a year, it's not too bad (yeah, I really should drain my w/c now)

For the VRMs, there is a built in waterblock on my mobo for them (I think), I should also put them in the loop if I ever get around to draining it

Edited by Kunasha

It will be back! Hope AMD getsvtheir shit together soon with GPUs so we can have some nice competition again.

It was awesome to buy two midrange cards for less than top card price and get more performance. Guess only good for the Ern and not great for AMD and nVidia

It's also great to have the higher spec single card and less heat pumping out, especially in the summer