Sign in to follow this  
Paintman

New monitor for my brother

So I am browsing around for a good monitor for my little brother. Usually I'm ok doing that alone but I might need some help in deciding between a TN or IPS monitor.

He loves to play videogames, but is not really into competitive gaming. So as far as my knowledge goes the TN monitors are the preferred monitors for fast response time. Since he favors MMO's, RPG's and anything in that range the better colors that IPS monitors provide it makes me favor that one.

So my question is: TN or IPS, and also why?

My budget is between 300-500 euro. I prefer to go for quality so if the advice is to go for a 500e IPS, then I will look into that.

Buy a Dell Ultrasharp - Pretty much any of them will please him. The U2715h should be a good buy, even if its over a year old by now.

I can get 20% discount on the ultrasharp 2913wm

Is the 2715h worth it ignore the discount of the 2913wm?

Is it worth to 

The 2913 is ultrawide which is pretty cool, but not all games support it. Ask Drexa about it, he has one and can tell you about games that run well or bad with it.

Yeah very few games have had issues, mostly some older ones like assassins creed etc. wasn't hard to find fixes for those though.

I'm pretty sure I won't go back to a normal size ever after getting the ultra wide, it's just so nice to have the extra space on the sides, especially in mmos.

I read some more info about ultrawide... I'm sold!

(In one month after my first real salary I'll also build a new rig with a similar monitor)

I went with a dirt cheap AOC 29" ultrawide (think it was like 300 euro maybe), for the price i paid im more than happy, but it has some minor flaws (maybe major for picky people). Bit of light is bleeding in the left corners etc, only noticeable when you watch movies and shit goes really dark though. Perhaps its fixable if you want/can tinker a bit, no idea (didnt Sinful or someone fix bleeding issue on some monitor a while back?).

I will at some point upgrade to a 34", just cause bigger is better! Not sure if ill put down crazy amounts of money or just get another AOC..

Acer did something right with the X34 as it's seems to have less IPS glow than most monitors, it could be because of the anti-glare coating they used, dunno...