Sign in to follow this  
Cogency

Surface Book

From just looking quickly at the Surface Pro 4 and this little movie, is the only difference power/looks? As in the Book being a high end system with a more 'solid' keyboard and the surface being more 'tablet' like?

Not sure, I only saw these trailers also and havnt really looked into them yet. I know this Book also has in the keyboard itself an extra battery and a dedicated GPU. 

Edited by Cogency

I just watched the full briefing on my xbox one. The book is 13", higher resolution, thinner, and more powerful. All connectors are in the keyboard/base, so it's even thinner than the surface pro 4, which is thinner than the surface pro 3.

They compared the surface pro 3 to the macbook air, saying it is 50% faster (30% faster than the surface pro 3)

They compared the surface book to the macbook pro, saying it is twice as fast.

The Lumia 950 and 950XL look interesting too, 6 or 8 core phones, with a docking port that allows you to use it as a fully fledged PC (full windows 10 on it, continuum). I am tempted, but my contract has 15 months to go, so will wait for whatever comes out next year.

They also showed off more holo lens stuff, and the new band.

oh, and the surface pro 4 keyboard and pen are backwards compatible with the surface pro 3, and one comes with a fingerprint reader too.

Oh yeah, they showed the book playing videos that were captured on another book that was playing gears of war, it looked buttery smooth. They then showed video editing and 3d modelling and stuff, it's an awesome machine.

Edited by Kunasha

My mind fails to understand how the Surface Pro 4 is thicker than the Surface book. The keyboard of the Book is obviously thicker than the keyboard of the Surface Pro 4. The screen of the Book might be slightly thinner than that of the Pro 4 due to the increased size (=space to spread components), but visually measured far from to make up the difference of the keyboards.

The good thing is I've been able to fence of IT all this time, who have been trying to replace my old Dell laptop for months with a new Dell laptop. I guess I'm just going suggest getting a Surface Book now :)

The tablet portion is smaller because they've moved some parts into the keyboard base.

I'm actually quite tempted, I've been needing a new tablet but I'm getting the impression the Surface book is best suited for someone who wants a laptop most of the time, which isn't really a problem but I'm unsure if an older Pro, the 4 or the Book would be best for me.

The book is better in everyway imo, it has better battery life, its more powerful, as a tablet its thinner, has a better keyboard. I also think it will be alot more sturdy on your lap. 

Now I don't know how much they improved the new type-4-cover (it did get laptop like keys now), but I suggest you try the typecovers first if you have to type alot. Because I did not like the keystrokes of the previous ones at all.

I think the only thing the surface has over the book is the price, but I think with an added type cover and depending which cpu/hd size version you pick, you'll be pretty close to the Book.

Edited by Cogency

The book is better in everyway imo, it has better battery life, its more powerful, as a tablet its thinner, has a better keyboard. I also think it will be alot more sturdy on your lap. 

Looking at the device as a whole I would agree, looking at both as tablets only and I'm leaning towards the Pro 4 as for example, the Surface book doesn't have a kick stand and only something like 3 hours battery life when not attached to the keyboard.

HP's Spectre X2 looks also pretty decent.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/07/hp-spectre-x2/

hp-spectre-x2-1200.jpg

But I dont know, Microsofts own Surface line has proven to pretty damn good quality wise, no experience with the HP.

Dell also has a new XPS 12, but they kinda failed horribly with the screen to keyboard attachment, it's fixed so you cant adjust the screen.  :mellow:

Fuck HP, fuck Dell, fuck Lenovo, fuck them all.

They've had years to put out compelling products but I think they've failed for the most part. I'm still pissed off at Microsoft for abandoning Surface RT and their app support is still useless but at least the hardware looks convincing.

I think that the surface book might heat your lap up a lot. With the surface pro, the heat is all in the tablet.

There are also the size and weight issues to consider.

I'd have either, but my sp3 is plenty fine for now, although I may consider the new keyboard for it

I think that the surface book might heat your lap up a lot. With the surface pro, the heat is all in the tablet.

There are also the size and weight issues to consider.

I'd have either, but my sp3 is plenty fine for now, although I may consider the new keyboard for it

Why would the Surface Book be a problem in your lap? All the base contains is batteries and ports, the most expensive models with have the dGPU but I'd assume you wouldn't be using that in your lap.

I've only seen the briefing video so don't have details on all the different models, but the GPU is in the base and likely to be the hottest component in the thing. My Surface Pro 3 gets pretty hot even when watching video, so I'd assume that the same would be true of the Surface Book, especially if using it for anything stressful that can use the GPU like a game, visual studio compiling, video rendering, photoshop or lightroom.

I do all of these on my surface pro 3, on my lap.

Sign in to follow this