Sammerkand

Ultra wide monitors

Ultra wide screens dont come in 4k, they are 3440*1440p. 

For a TV I would never go for one, but for a monitor where its just you watching the curve might be great. Some of the better ones are the:

AOC U3477pqu

aoc_u3477pqu_0.jpg

LG 34UC97.

(Curved and non curved avail)

lg1.jpg

The AOC might actually have a better screen.

They still might not be the best for (competitive) FPS gaming.

Edited by Cogency

The 29" ultra wide with no bend is almost too flat, i dont think id want a flat 34".. Just like how you wouldnt really run a 3 monitor setup with them all aligned in a straight line.

Oh, and im jelly.

Edited by Drexa

there's also 2 new curved ultrawiders with g-sync coming from acer in few months

Acer X34

predator-x34-gallery-front-right.png

Acer Z35

predator-z35-gallery-front-right.png

Edited by Drakhorn

since this thread got hijacked into another monitor thread, a word of warning about the acer monitors mentioned above.

The X34 has been diagnosed with a bad case of color banding in pre-release units. This might be or might not be fixed before or after the release...

Edited by Drakhorn

I've wanted an ultra-wide for years but I'm so nervous about gaming, has anyone actually tried one for it? (That isn't an insane setup like Cog's video) Do a lot of games have resolution or UI issues with them?

My only worry is the input lag/refresh rate. 

Resolution and UI issues shouldnt be a problem anymore these days.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_predator_x34.htm

there's some comprehensive response and refresh rate graphs about several top of the line monitors if you're willing to go through that review.

EDIT: ok thought I better post some of the pics from that review as most wouldn't probably go through it anyways...

response_10.jpg

lag.jpg

Edited by Drakhorn

Good read. The numbers look pretty decent, the crazy ROG is ofcourse dominating but it looks like it can compete with "normal" monitors. 

This Acer has a higher refresh rate which is nice (75hz, 100hz with G-sync). The LG and AOC are at 60 I think.

To bad its like 300euro more expensive. :(  1300euro here.

Edited by Cogency

that's the Freesync version I believe

this is with the g-sync: https://www.alternate.nl/Acer/34-Ultra-Wide-Monitor-Predator-X34BMiphz/html/product/1210814?event=search

on a side note it has been confirmed that the X34 blue banding problem has been fixed with a firmware update and acer is saying that the monitors coming out at launch will have the f/w v2 installed

Edited by Drakhorn

received my x34 right now and IT IS FREAKING AWESOME

pictures I've seen from other buyers don't give this beast of a monitor the credit it deserves.

I haven't tested out for the most frequent problems reported on the internets yet, but will get into to that thoroughly this week to determine if I will keep it.

For the price this behemoth costs, I won't tolerate any problems with it.

Update report on my unit.

I returned the monitor to my retailer 16.11.2015, they we're able to replicate my problem and shipped it to Acer.

Today, 10 days later, I got my monitor back. Acer service report says that they identified my problem as the blue banding problem and say they updated my firmware.

The dark stripes in blue color are gone and after quickly testing out here's the situation.

- no blue color scaling problem (and no vertical lines anymore)

- no horizontal scanlines (g-sync on, less than 60fps with pendulum test, windows 10)

- less BLB than on several earlier monitors I've had

- neglible IPS glow

- 100 FPS no problem

- no coil whine or other sounds whatsoever (brightness 34)

- no problems with backlights

So I'm very fortunate to say, I believe I got a flawless unit now. Happy happy joy joy!

But as a word of causion to other consumers in Finland, it seems that Acer is selling units with the original faulty firmware around here. And as I bought mine from Gigantti, I would assume this concerns other nordic countries as well. You might as well drop your fresh monitor straight to the service desk to get it updated when you're picking yours from the store.

Next to the X34 is my old 16:9 monitor.

You can also see my Ergotron monitor mount back there as I haven't had time to install the monitor back to it but when I do, it will be awesome!

I dislike the stock stand that comes with the monitor, it sticks out under the monitor, somewhat reducing your workspace.

post-31459-0-75040900-1448553906_thumb.jpg

post-31459-0-85994700-1448553909_thumb.jpg

post-31459-0-92581300-1448553912_thumb.jpg

Edited by Drakhorn

let me tell you, I saw pics of the X34 before I got it as well, and no matter how good photographer you are, pictures don't do this monitor justice. It looks absolutely massive irl

Ern is just jealous. So am I.

I have a 27" inch 1440p monitor now, I'm guessing the height is about the same, just extra sauce on the sides.

So what's the best 27" + monitor going at the moment? Don't really care if it's ultra wide or not.

I'm using a 27" 1440 IPS but it's one of those Taiwan reject models I picked up years ago cheap and I'm tired of its issues as minor as they are.

Yeah! If you go for it make sure you get the correct one. Theres a freesync and gsync version, depending on what brand of graphic card you have.

I really feel that these widescreen monitors will actually add to your gaming experience by giving you a bigger fov, we've had higher resolutions, more Hz, etc, the last few years which is all nice and awesome but these monitors provide a "real" change in what you see. It's ofcourse not as wide as a multi-monitor setup but you also don't have any support issues in games (although not as much these days) and I think your graphic card won't run at higher clock speeds when idle with these monitors. (I think they still do that with a multimonitor eyefinity/Nvidia surround setup)

You should also be aware of the numerous problems these "gaming" monitors have, I had 2 unusable ROG Swifts before and had to send the X34 to get repaired right out of the box.

Here's something to read through before buying: 

http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Discussions/MULTIPLE-Problems-with-New-X34/m-p/390434#U390434

http://www.overclock.net/t/1526956/guide-to-the-problems-with-the-asus-rog-swift

Going between a normal monitor at work and the ultra wide at home I can always feel the difference in gaming experience, and it's a pretty big one..

Don't think I'll ever be able to go back.

Some games need some manual tweaking to work though, like fallout now, but most games has the resolution in the settings and work flawlessly.