Sign in to follow this  
Cogency

Intel & AMD Processors

Ooh, shiny new stuffs.. I want! QQ

But swapping a 4770k for this just looks stupid, unless you are made of money i suppose.

I bought a 6700K and overclocked.

I get it to run nicely @4.6 having an effective voltage of 1.392v according to hwinfo. To obtain that I run Offset -0.075 and LLC Level 3 on my Asus Maximus Hero VIII.

I am unable to get 4.7 stable unless I use silly amounts of voltage. Seems I was not lucky in the chip lottery this time either (Hate Adee). It's not horrible, but it's not a very high clock and it's using a little bit too much voltage for my case - Maybe if I tweaked other things I can reduce vcore, but I don't have the energy. This is good enough.

I haven't really figured out if there is any advantage in running adaptive/turbo over using just good old offset. Anyone know? 0.720v @ 800mhz idle currently, I think that is pretty decent?

However, going 4.0 to 4.6 is not nearly as satisfactory as my old 2500K that went 3.3 to 4.6 =(

Edited by Ernesto

Still waiting for the independent benchmarks before I get on board. I used to be a fan of AMD, but they do have a habit of benching only to their strengths and using a lot of the marketing power to blow wind up your ass with regards to their performance.

I hope it's not the case this time. Intel needs some serious competition on the desktop market. The product hasn't really changed in 3 years and the price is astronomical, I seriously hope AMD come through this time.

So I take the following from this;

It's still not quite there, BUT, it's getting close. Intel *have* to react to this because their recent releases have been disappointing and expensive. Lower prices and a competitive industry will benefit the consumer base extraordinarily in the CPU market. So, grats AMD, you did what you needed to do this time but don't stop now, you're not quite finished yet.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/05/26/definitive_amd_ryzen_7_realworld_gaming_guide/1

AMD ryzen 7 gaming guide, real world comparison.

The Bottom Line

In the end, AMD Ryzen has finally given Intel some competition, competition Intel sorely needed. Intel has been complacent, relaxed, un-imaginative, and pretty much given us very little performance improvements via CPU in the last six years, from Sandy Bridge in 2011, to Kaby Lake.

Ryzen 7 and its usefulness to you all comes down to your workload and what you need your PC to do. If you multi-task, content create or desktop publish, Ryzen 7 may be the best value for you. If all you want is the most l33t gaming machine, an overclocked Kaby Lake on Z270 motherboard can be a force to be reckoned with.

We hope AMD keeps pushing forward however with improvements to Ryzen and the Zen architecture. With future iterations, and potentially higher clock speeds Ryzen or Zen or future iterations could be quite a thumb pressing to Intel.

I would take that with a pinch of salt, as some games will definitely benefit from a newer cpu. A few of us went from i5-3570k, or the 2500k to a 6 or 7 series cpu during BDO. The difference was a very noticeable.

HardOCP review: 2700x

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/04/19/amd_2nd_gen_ryzen_2_2700x_zen_cpu_review/6

The Bottom Line

I can assuredly say that the Ryzen 2700X is the best desktop CPU that AMD has ever built. AMD has gotten its power usage in line with the 12nm process that allows its new Precision Boost 2 technology to shine and shine incredibly brightly. There are a ton more marketing points that we could discuss in this review, but overall takeaway is that I think AMD just built a CPU that can satisfy nearly ever desktop user on the planet.

More to come soon after we get to spend more time with the 2700X.

Edited by Cogency

I might actually get Ryzen 2700x. Eventhough the difference moneywise is not that much. (675, vs 590euro)

The difference in high resolution gaming is not that big, and the second you stream or record something the Ryzen just pulls out ahead. Also for other multi tasking things like rendering and all that shiz. 

Im fooling around in quite a few 3d programs also for the 3d printer so I think it will actually be a good choice.

Also when they dish out an upgraded CPU in two years, it might be easier to upgrade later on then intel which requires new mobo and stuff and current AMD socket is good for another two generations if I am correct.

Anyone here running Ryzen 2700x?

Edited by Cogency

I find the cpu videos too boring to watch, i feel like Homer Simpson after a minute, someone explain whats good with the new shit and what to get and why...

Starting to think a new system in nov-dec might be on the table.

some interesting gaming benchmarks here, which puts the 5950X behind the i7/i9 in some games still (with an RTX 3090)