Sign in to follow this  
Cogency

VR- Headsets

Rift + Touch price dropped by 200$, 598$ total fucking worth it!

also Robo Recall is installing now, free for all touch owners, suppose to be an amazing fps.

Edit: confirmed really fun fps

https://www.oculus.com/blog/introducing-rift-touch-for-598plus-robo-recall-is-now-available/

Edited by Mitxuko

My Vive arrived yesterday and I spent the the day installing, troubleshooting and some gaming.

Here's my 2 cents from a guy who has used both Vive and Rift for few hours.

- The Rift has better controllers, hands down. I'm a 1,85m 110kg guy with a glove size 10/11 and even to my hands the Vive controllers feel unwieldy. They work fine but they are just bit too girthy

- The cord or "tether" feels just as awkward on both devices

- The glasses feel same weight and just as comfortable on both devices

- I did not bother even unpacking the in-ear pods that came with the Vive, I prefer my own

- The Rift glasses felt little bit easier to adjust to your head but I had more experienced user helping me with the Rift.. Both devices have top and side straps you can adjust. 

- The image in both devices is quite darn similar. It's been couple of months since I used Rift so I can't really give accurate comparison. Also I played different games on the devices.

- The Viveport (HTC market/lobby) is meh but it works.

- The lobby on Rift was nice and easy to to use.

- Steam tends to crash every time I use the Vive. This could be something that is fixable but for first time hands on use it's frustrating.

- I like how the Vive integrates with steam. You could play Steam games with Rift but you needed to launch them from your desktop, creating a hassle with the headset.

- The setup for Vive was a project but I like setting up things :P www.vive.com/eu/setup/ has really good downloadable setup program with easy instructions.

Edited by Drakhorn

So far I've played Onward and House of the Dying Sun.

So much to play and only so much time....

I am thinking of getting this, whats it like, lets have some feedback from someone playing rather than website hype!

I am thinking of getting this, whats it like, lets have some feedback from someone playing rather than website hype!

Did 3 missions with randoms last night and it was fun. We had some great laughs. The content is very limited for the price (only 5 scripted missions the rest are randomly generated missions) but the atmosphere is really good. And it's just fun to pilot a starship Enterprise (there's more than 1 ship, excuse my ignorance I'm not a huge Trekkie) with some friends while drinking beer. Even with randoms it was fun. Have a look on YouTube for some footage.

I feel like this is THE game for Cog, isn't he a super Trekkie?

Edited by Mitxuko

More into Star Wars but love me some Star Trek too, James Tiberius Kirk ftw!

Buy me a vr headset and we'll boldly go where no Ginnungan has gone before!

More into Star Wars but love me some Star Trek too, James Tiberius Kirk ftw!

Buy me a vr headset and we'll boldly go where no Ginnungan has gone before!

Come visit me in the UK and you can use my VR headset and hand thingies

Made a video of my playthrough tonite if anyone is interested. That was a random mission and a challenge, not the scripted missions.

The first half is on the Entreprise, as you can see it's really ghetto. Then i go on the Aegis which looks cool as hell!

https://youtu.be/jtJ_lW6u6F0

Video should be ready in about an hour it's uploading now.

Edited by Mitxuko

That looked pretty cool and fun. I find it hard to watch with the camera bobbing around everywhere, but then I can't watch other peoples screens at the best of times. I liked the dependant game play of the different stations for different players, that kind of working together is very cool and I'm hoping for a lot more of it in upcoming games.

Thanks for the vid, was interesting, some very cool stuff ahead for sure.

I don't have vr, but this video has made me want one. Thanks for posting I'm going to look into it. Looks very new and exciting to me.

That looked pretty cool and fun. I find it hard to watch with the camera bobbing around everywhere, but then I can't watch other peoples screens at the best of times. I liked the dependant game play of the different stations for different players, that kind of working together is very cool and I'm hoping for a lot more of it in upcoming games.

Thanks for the vid, was interesting, some very cool stuff ahead for sure.

Yea sorry for the head moving around so much i should try to stabilize my head when i record :) But ingame it feels completely natural. And yea these asymmetric co-op games are great fun, even with randoms. A full ginnungan crew would be even more awesome! A pvp MMO based on asymmetric co-op would be fucking unreal.

I don't have vr, but this video has made me want one. Thanks for posting I'm going to look into it. Looks very new and exciting to me.

It will blow your mind. not exaggerating.

I think MediaMarkt has promotions for bundles (rift + touch), at least they did last week but not sure if they have those in the UK.

It's really fun and those weren't the most interesting missions, the scripted missions are more intense. It actually is fairly tactical, signature management requires allot of crew coordination but these missions we didn't care about our sig.

Edited by Mitxuko

Quick video of this new open beta. Ever seen Ender's game ? Specifically the 0G game, well this is it. It's only my 2nd game so i'm completely terrible but it's really immersive. Not sure why i seem to always look down..

£399 for the Rift + Touch now (for the next 6 weeks), they must REALLY want to sell this stuff

or the 2nd gen is about to be announced and they want to shift all the ones they have left.

2nd gen isn't coming anytime soon, they said as much. Not for AT LEAST another year.

Whatever their reason it's the perfect time to pick one up ! If you can find one, it's sold out in a lot of places. If you have any doubts just go read some first impressions on /r/Oculus. Or come to Brussels and I'll make you a demo, you honestly won't believe how good it is!

Edited by Mitxuko

Ah I see Kunasha spotted that price already.

I need a machine to run VR on.  Anyone looked at the Corsair One machine?  Are are a few similar types of products but I'm wondering if they will be powerful enough.

I need something pre built, preferable smallish and quiet but still packs a big punch.

I'm thinking of having this machine more in a living room type space rather than an office so don't want a full tower.

Anyone been looking at anything like this?

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/landing/one

Both of those are above recommended spec. It's close to what I use (6600k +1080) and it destroys every game. I supersample most games at 1.2x.

Min spec is i5-4590 + 1060 (https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/170128916778795/). The only thing you have to watch for is that mobile GPUs are no go, but these are both full sized desktop chips. And you need an HDMI + 2 or 3 USB 3.0.

If you want first hand experience with that specific PC ask on /r/oculus but i see no reason why it wouldn't run admirably.

Edited by Mitxuko

there will be a lot more choice come Xmas, also cheaper

https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-windows-mixed-reality-headset/preview/

Also, rumours that Microsoft's will have 2 x 1440x1400 screens, which if the inside out tracking works well, would be considerably nicer than either of the current 2 on the market

Edited by Kunasha

@lenovo, remains to be seen how good tracking will be with only 2 cameras on the headset to track the head movements and no external references. If they can pull it off it will be amazing but I have my doubts. But more competition is always a good thing and companies investing in VR makes me happy.

just saw this, it's Microsoft's Windows Holographic/Hololens tech, a lot of devices will be using it.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=windows+holographic+demo

there will be a lot more choice come Xmas, also cheaper

https://www.cnet.com/products/acer-windows-mixed-reality-headset/preview/

Also, rumours that Microsoft's will have 2 x 1440x1400 screens, which if the inside out tracking works well, would be considerably nicer than either of the current 2 on the market

It's not just about resolution though. Refresh rate, persistance, optics and ergonomics are equally important if not more important. If the balance isn't right it will make you sick it's not just a screen. There's a few higher res (then rift/vive) headsets out there but everything besides res is garbage. Can HDMI 2.0 even carry 2 x 1440x1400 pixels at 90hz ?

i can't wait to see if they pull off the inside out tracking, but the 300$ "Mixed reality headset" looks disappointing, it says "for the microsoft store bullcrap" and at that price we'll have to see what the specs are like. And it says the Acer 2x 1440x1400 sceen (the "panoramic headset") won't be available to the public? that's theme park ride material. No mention of controllers on either of them either.

Certainly not worth waiting 6 months ! Did you try an Oculus rift yet Kunasha ?

They have a hololens at work, i played with it awhile, the AR thing is interesting but i wasn't impressed. Why would you want to superimpose your movies or emails to your walls when you could be somewhere interesting instead.

Edited by Mitxuko

No, from the start I said I'm not going to be investing in the first generation, and while £399 is very tempting, I'm going to wait it out.

If you have a headset go play Lone Echo right now. I just finished it last night and i'm going for a 2nd play through it's soo good. The presence and the graphics are intense and the chick Liv feels so real. I've been gaming for 30 years ish and it's one of the most incredible games i've ever experienced. I'll prove it to you if you come to Brussels!

While i don't agree necessarily with the clickbait title here's a decent article about it: http://www.techradar.com/news/lone-echo-should-do-for-vr-what-mario-64-did-for-nintendo-send-it-stratospheric

4players.de gave it 86% and they usually are pretty critical. [EN]

In game footage. 

Edited by Mitxuko

Sign in to follow this