Cogency

Windows 10

I think you can upgrade to Pro, I got pro atleast and we all know I never buy the expensive deluxe versions of software. :P

Well, just went to play The Witcher 2 and found my 1st issue. The windows 10 AMD Drivers (Catalyst 15.7.1) don't support crossfire for 2 x 5870. Fuck, my games went from being playable, to being unplayable. Oh well, guess I have to buy that GTX-980TI and a second radiator now then.

Agreed, but it's still a perfect excuse to go to 1 GPU and a fully water cooled setup in my awesome case of awesomeness.

Well, just went to play The Witcher 2 and found my 1st issue. The windows 10 AMD Drivers (Catalyst 15.7.1) don't support crossfire for 2 x 5870. Fuck, my games went from being playable, to being unplayable. Oh well, guess I have to buy that GTX-980TI and a second radiator now then.

Don't forget that there's an option in your Settings to downgrade back to 8.1 with no issues if you get fed up with it, you can always come back to 10 once it's more established. I haven't done this yet but after running into similar issues I'm teetering on the edge of doing so.

in order to get solitaire to work, i had to make xbox-live account and password. now i need that dumb shit to log on to my computer everytime >_< i cant get it off

One thing I don't really understand though. Why can everyone upgrade for free (or well, 7 and up) But new licenses still cost 130euro's, why dont they make that stuff more accessible also?

Edited by Cogency

in order to get solitaire to work, i had to make xbox-live account and password. now i need that dumb shit to log on to my computer everytime >_< i cant get it off

I do recommend that you keep logging in with that account since it will allow you to use the store and all the other awesome Win10 stuff  friction free.

However if you feel better with with using only a local account you can, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-win_upgrade/how-to-create-a-local-account-in-windows-10/95097c32-40c4-48c0-8f3b-3bcb67afaf7c

One thing I don't really understand though. Why can everyone upgrade for free (or well, 7 and up) But new licenses still cost 130euro's, why dont they make that stuff more accessible also?

I think it comes down to pleasing OEMs and trying to show that windows still has a stand alone value.

would be fun to see some charts to see how many active windows are being used still, if vista and co. are stiill over 50% of the userbase, the 130e makes profit to $$rosoft

I won't install W10 until around December. Still lots of bugs there! But in the future, thats what you need to buy... They will stop selling everything else

Lots of bugs? We installed it on all the work machines and I installed it on all machines at home. Works pretty damn smooth to be honest.

Lots of bugs? We installed it on all the work machines and I installed it on all machines at home. Works pretty damn smooth to be honest.

There's always shit loads of bugs but I don't recall there being any serious release issues since Windows 7, probably earlier.

We're still stuck hearing how people should skip releases or wait till service packs though.

W10 has been pretty smooth for me, but the word is that it was originally intended to be released at the end of October (which incidentally is when the major "Threshold 2" update is expected), that's why things like a proper Skype app and Office have the "Get Skype/Office" apps as placeholders, why Edge is still pretty primitive for a default browser (incl. why Internet Explorer still exists in this version) and why pretty much all Enterprise features are missing.

It's all speculation as to why, some people say it was to capitalise on Back to School, others say it was pressure from OEMs etc. - who knows.

Point being that should be getting a Service Pack level update in just over a month that should give us a better idea of what the original vision of W10 on launch day was, apparently the internal teams were as surprised as everyone else when they were told they were losing a few months of development time before release.

Edited by smash

I think you're right, I remember reading that they were going to have backwards compatibility at first (or have the IE engine activate within when you went to a site that needed it) but then took it out and kept it separate or something along those lines? I can still see a future point where they ditch it when they feel it isn't necessary anymore, it's not like it's against MS' ethos to do so.

Edited by smash

There are still quite a few business SAAS tools which run in Java plugins. At the moment you use IE or Firefox for that, since Chrome removed the compatibility.

Yeah, the software I work with demands IE, but we are working to get rid of that requirement. It's not the easiest thing in the world when you are updating legacy software hehe.

Chrome is such a bitch in Windows 10, it is always taking up CPU and preventing my speedstep from reducing my multiplier. maybe that happened before w10, not sure? 

I so want to use Edge now, which doesn't do this shit, but with no favourites/tab synching, and no adblock, I really can't see that it's possible

Looks like windows update keeps disabling crossfire (2nd card disabled, so no chance to turn it on).

It's a shame that I am re-mortgaging right now to buy the builders of my apartment out of their share of equity, or I'd have replaced the cards by now. Still, it's 1st on my list when my mortgage completes.

There is a new update, apparently closing on the "final version". As they said, its ready for bigger corporations and enterprises now. At least its a big update, my computers been updating it for two hours now...

The most significant addition to Threshold 2 (The thing you're talking about, basically a Service Pack) for me is that you can now use your Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 Serial Key to activate a new Windows 10 install, even on a brand new PC, so the headache of hardware-based activation should be over.

Most of the extra features are for Enterprise, I was disappointed that Edge extensions got delayed into 2016 because I'd love to use it as my main browser but can't live without a few plugins that I use all the time.

The update borked something for me. I can no longer run most games with my AMD 7970x2.

Anyone else had any problems since fall update (th2)?

Edit: Seems like it just took a couple of reboots to fix whatever was broken.

Everything works now.

Edited by Karge

Shouldnt I be able to install a fresh Win10 and activate it with my Win7 key or have they done a bait and switch so you can only upgrade after installing Win7 first?