Cogency

Windows 10

For the first year Windows 7 and 8(.1) can be upgraded for free to 10!

Windows 10 makes Microsoft's dream of universal apps come true

We've been hearing about Microsoft's vision of universal apps for years -- apps that can be written once and run on a wide variety of devices -- but with Windows 10 it's finally becoming a reality. During today's massive Windows 10 event, Microsoft's operating system heads Terry Myerson and Joe Belfiore mentioned several instances of how universal apps will fit into the Windows ecosystem. Windows 10 apps will eventually show up in the Xbox One, Myerson noted, and Belfiore also showed off how Microsoft Office apps seamlessly scale from phones (which will also run Windows 10) to PCs. The notion of universal apps may seem a tad boring, but it's essential to making developers latch onto this new Windows entry in a way they never did for Windows 8. After all, it's much easier to convince someone to build an app for your platform when it can be easily deployed across all sorts of devices (and it makes up for the weak Windows Phone ecosystem).

http://www.engadget.com/

Edited by Cogency

I watched the on-stage demo and it looked really cool.

But initially I think it will not be as much games as there will be science, creative and other more practial applications.

However with that being said they showed minecraft with those and it looked awesome!

Perfect combo of LEGO and minecraft

This Xbox to PC streaming thing - does that mean I'll be able to play Xbox One/360 games without owning the console? Or is it like "in-home" streaming where you can stream from the console to another device?

If it's the former I am very excite.

I want to install it on my Surface but I dont think its possible yet. The Insider page only says 'Coming Soon almost ready blabla'.  <_>

Birdies tell me next week.

Edited by Cogency

For the first year you get a free upgrade to w10. So if I understand, after the first year if I format my pc I guess I'll either be stuck with w7 again or will have to purchase w10?

Well that's nice then. 

Do we know if the upgrade will allow for direct installation of w10? The wXP to w7 upgrade worked for a while to install w7 directly (without having to install xp first) but it didn't work last time I tried.

Other than that, what's the catch? I like free stuff but I don't trust it!

The catch is apple offered osx free, so Microsoft feel obliged to do the same, especially since the low take up of 8/8.1

Well that's nice then. 

Do we know if the upgrade will allow for direct installation of w10? The wXP to w7 upgrade worked for a while to install w7 directly (without having to install xp first) but it didn't work last time I tried.

Other than that, what's the catch? I like free stuff but I don't trust it!

Arter you upgrade your 7/8 your license becomes a 10 license and you can no longer install 7 or 8 with it. That is at least how it was before

Same. I don't know how I could live before I had the surface! That silly dock is just acting as charger though. 4 computers on 44m2 is apparently more than enough. I love how it synced all apps and desktop background etc with my desktop

I'm such a trendsetter.

Can also just choose which one you want.

Win10 so far runs a big sluggish, menus and shiz arnt very fluid yet. Looks good tho, everything is now integrated in the start menu bar thingie. I think I will miss the Metro UI a little, it was better for tablets imo. Win10 has a few nifty features though.. But I cant seem to split the screen anymore. :o (or havnt figured out how yet)

IMAG2800.jpg

Edited by Cogency

you are supposed to be able to split into 4 screen segments now, so must be possible... try windows + tab? or maybe swipe from left

I accidentally got an xbox one at the end of december, so looking forward to the streaming stuff too. Hopefully it works better than the steam streaming.

David, I'm kinda glad I skipped on the dock and just got a mini display port to hdmi cable instead.. I have that plugged into my 1440p monitor and use it if I can't be bothered to use the main PC, which uses the display port input on the monitor. That works pretty well as a cheap docking station, albeit without power and extra USB.

The Search function has completely disappared from my Start Menu for some reason, start up is a bit slow, aside from that everything seems pretty slick.

I'm such a trendsetter.

Can also just choose which one you want.

Win10 so far runs a big sluggish, menus and shiz arnt very fluid yet. Looks good tho, everything is now integrated in the start menu bar thingie. I think I will miss the Metro UI a little, it was better for tablets imo. Win10 has a few nifty features though.. But I cant seem to split the screen anymore. :o (or havnt figured out how yet)

The Metro UI will be there for your tablet - It detects your system and gives you appropriate start menu style

Running pretty damn smooth now after another update. :)

Tablet mode you activate with a button (see screenshot).

IMAG2802.jpg

It just seems to make the start menu go full screen.

IMAG2803.jpg

It does not look as pretty as the old metro UI. :P

IMAG2795.jpg

Trying to figure out how to make the mini and maxed Win10 start menu go see through. :)

I want it like below;

phone_laptop-1500x1000.jpg

Edited by Cogency

Ok, looks like its just not active yet:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/23/january-build-now-available-to-the-windows-insider-program/

The work on Start isn’t done yet, and we’ll have more changes that will show up in future builds including more personalization (and transparency!), drag and drop, Jump Lists, and the ability to resize the Start menu.

I can DL W10 but, I kinda should buy a new cheap cheap PC or laptop that I can use for testing OS's.

Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Datacenter 64-bit (English)

Dreamspark gives almost everything MS has to offer for free now <3

Office set

Edited by Fox

The technical preivew for phones is coming out later today.

https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/565920559603531776

Anyone giving it a go?

Edit. It's out http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/02/12/announcing-the-first-build-of-windows-10-technical-preview-for-phones-2/

But they only support a limited set of devices with this build:

Lumia 630 Lumia 638
Lumia 635 Lumia 730
Lumia 636 Lumia 830

Some context on why we chose these and not higher end phones like the 930/Icon or 1520: We have a feature that will be coming soon called “partition stitching” which will allow us to adjust the OS partition dynamically to create room for the install process to be able to update the OS in-place. Until this comes in, we needed devices which were configured by mobile operators with sufficiently sized OS partitions to allow the in-place upgrade, and many of the bigger phones have very tight OS partitions.

Note that this doesn’t mean that Windows 10 will take more disk space than Windows Phone 8.1, it’s just a function of the upgrade process at this point. Once the partition stitching feature is completed, many more devices will be supported.

Edited by Karge

On Windows 7 and 8 machines you should notice a system tray application that lets you reserve your copy of Windows 10.

If it doesn't appear make sure you are up to date with windows updates.

Aye, I had it also. Just clicked it and I guess I get a mail when its ready. Free Upgrade, which I can recommend to everyone since 10 is awesome.

(The Engadget link describes it also)