Cogency

Star Wars Battlefront

I updated my nvidia drivers and now everything is fucked.... The game only launcher in window mode but even then no image....  <_>

I don't wish to be negative, but am I the only one disappointed with this game?

Don't like the flight controls, so many game modes yet none that is units and vehicles without heroes, there seem to be very few maps too? Few weapons, I don't exactly like how accessing vehicles and heroes works.. 

The game does look beautiful and love that it's star wars, but I can't help but feel BF3 is still better.. perhaps I shouldn't be comparing them, but BF3 is my FPS benchmark I guess. 

Battlefield was a better game for FPS players. Almost everyone agrees with that.

But it's simplicity, easy to get into and incredibly awesome atmosphere is really really well made and many people like the game because of that.

It's also not a Battlefield successor, its Star Wars Battlefront. It is a different game.

I am also wondering how much of the "must have" gameplay maps and modes is hidden behind DLC.

Edited by Cogency

Well good to know I'm not crazy (as far as I know anyway!).

I wasn't expecting a BF successor, I didn't really play Battlefront much either, but was hoping for some more star warsie game modes. Where's the Deathstar and why isn't a crazy voice in my head telling me to use the force instead of the targeting computer?

I do love the atmosphere and sounds, how weapons work is a nice change for me, I have mixed feelings about the whole hero thing, not that I've been the hero very often, it's been twice and not very successful unfortunately. I've mostly played the full out war mode thingy 20v20 and I feel there's very few vehicles most of the time and they're usually too easy to take out, this with all the close combat I sometimes feel like the game is closer to CoD than BF which isn't a good thing in my book (shouldn't be a good thing in anyone's!).

I did expect however to be able to control the pitch and altitude of the fliers... also be able to roll. Controlling the vessel purely with the mouse and some strafing is kinda poor design imo, not sure who thought that was a good idea. Hopefully I'm wrong and these options exist and you'll correct me but I haven't seen them, checked the options and didn't see any bindings for these. I like the AT-ST mostly, haven't been in a AT-AT yet though. There was only one map that had the bikes and using them basically makes you an easy target, didn't see much point using them.. 

I doubt I'll be getting the DLC's. EA and their policies piss me off to no end. The game is released with them "planned" when I bet some of them were originally part of the game and were excluded purposefully to sell separately. 

I guess I'll give it some more time this weekend and see if I get a better feel for the game. 

I haven't bought it and probably won't. No story, nothing, just battlefield with lasers and simplified grinding.

Yeah yeah, bite me.

I did expect however to be able to control the pitch and altitude of the fliers... also be able to roll. Controlling the vessel purely with the mouse and some strafing is kinda poor design imo, not sure who thought that was a good idea. Hopefully I'm wrong and these options exist and you'll correct me but I haven't seen them, checked the options and didn't see any bindings for these. I like the AT-ST mostly, haven't been in a AT-AT yet though. There was only one map that had the bikes and using them basically makes you an easy target, didn't see much point using them.. 

Check the solo missions.  I felt the same way as you at first regarding the flying aspect of the game, but now I understand the controls much better after some practice.  Also, the F keys will allow you to roll and do various flight maneuvers as well.

Yea, I played the solo missions before jumping into the fray just to get a bit of a feel for the game, I actually enjoyed them, the bike mission was fun as it definitely feels very star warsie. The mission where you wind the cable around the AT-ATs was quite fun too, mostly for the same reason. 

I do probably need more experience with flyers, but it's hard when I don't enjoy it much, the flight maneuvers sorta have to be saved to avoid missiles, so using them to fly around probably isn't the best idea. Hopefully I get time this weekend! 

Was, sadly, disappointed. Got a refund after the first evening. Though a lot has to do with me generally being shit at fps games and I don't see my having the time or the motivation to get good at it, and I don't enjoy sucking. 

Atmosphere was really nice though, but just not my thing.

I had some fun with the beta, but it never felt like enough to actually purchase the game. I dont see myself playing it atm.

I havent encountered many bugs at all in Fallout 4 though, got about 110 hours played and i think ive crashed to desktop twice (both times after several hours long sessions) and had two quests semi bug on me (had to reload a save to get the trigger from the kill). Considering the tons of quests and stuff ive done thats totally acceptable for me. Just learn where F5 is and quicksave as often as you can remember :P

Sorry for derail!

Can't say I noticed any bugs in Fallout 4 either

Or actually, there is the bug that can happen when accessing terminals, my char gets stuck, but as long as i quicksave before and try again it usually works.

Edited by Muuman

Managed to play a few more hours yesterday, I decided to give in and go 3rd person. It changes quite a bit, suddenly I felt more like I was playing APB and I actually enjoyed myself quite a bit more.

Still wish the Flyer controls were different and would like a map with more vehicles and a mode with vehicles and no heroes.. there are basically only two modes for me, Walker Assault and Supremacy. Destructible environments should be a basic feature in these games by now too... The grenade spam is also getting tiresome but that will surely be changed. Having only 4 maps is ridiculous and indefensible in my opinion. 

That said, I seem to suck at this game, improved quite a bit yesterday once I got used to 3rd person again, important to change shoulders with "c" just like in APB depending on the corner you're checking or shooting from, might take some getting used to for most people, it's also easy to try to shoot people and not notice you're shooting the box right in front of you. It's the first shooter I've EVER played since counter strike 1.3 (when I started with shooters) where my W/L and K/D ratios are below 1... and that has me kinda irked and wanting to improve until I fix it!

Edit: just watched the vid Muuman linked and it's pretty much spot on really.

Edited by Kaskas

Can't say I noticed any bugs in Fallout 4 either

Or actually, there is the bug that can happen when accessing terminals, my char gets stuck, but as long as i quicksave before and try again it usually works.

That happens very often if you run above 60fps