Cogency

AMD & Nvidia gfx blabla.

http://hardocp.com/article/2015/06/24/amd_radeon_r9_fury_x_video_card_review/1#.VYqrnfntlBc

The Bottom Line

The new AMD Fiji GPU and Fury X video card looks awesome on paper, but has underwhelmed and disappointed us when it comes to real world gameplay. The AMD Radeon R9 Fury X feels like a proof of concept for HBM technology.

In terms of gaming performance, the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X seems like better competition for the GeForce GTX 980 4GB video card, rather than the GeForce GTX 980 Ti. GTX 980 cards are selling for as low at $490 today. This is not a good thing since the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X is priced at $649, the same price as the GeForce GTX 980 Ti.

(Editor's Note: AMD's Fury X is starting to show up at Amazon and Newegg this morning.)

Usually trying to decide between two video cards at the same price point is a wash, with very even and split performance. However, this is not the case this time with the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X and GeForce GTX 980 Ti. There is a definite pattern that leads to one video card being the best value for the money, and it is GeForce GTX 980 Ti, not the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X.

Limited VRAM for a flagship $649 video card, sub-par gaming performance for the price, and limited display support options with no HDMI 2.0 and no DVI port. To be honest, we aren't entirely sure who the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X is really built for? The AMD Radeon Fury X is a confusing product, like a technology demo not fully realized, a showcase for HBM only but with no real substance. The AMD Radeon Fury X looks to be a great marketing showcase, but its prowess starts waning when you consider its value to gamers and hardware enthusiasts.

Slightly dissapointed, also this rebranding shit has to go.  <_>

(goes for the other 300s)

Edited by Cogency

I was hoping to get a new AMD GPU but if this holds true I guess it will be a 980ti and a G-sync monitor for my next setup

Another thing is that Nvidia can just keep its current pricing. 

The gfx world really needed another 4870.

Edited by Cogency

DX12 GPU and CPU Performance Tested: Ashes of the Singularity Benchmark

Very boring talk!

TLDR: DX12 will give both companies a nice boost but AMD will benefit alot more than Nvidia from DX12. Not that AMD will perform better/faster but since they are miles behind on drivers and shit this will give them a nice boost.

Edited by Cogency

Would this: https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/GTX780TIDC2OC3GD5/specifications/ (current card)

work in SLI with for example this: http://www.msi.com/product/vga/GTX-780Ti-GAMING-3G.html#hero-specification

?

Clock speeds seem a bit different untouched but the rest, like memory speed etc, seems identical.. So it should work, no?

Sounds pretty decent, 10 sek still 1ish euro? 

It will be very many overkill for your current 1080p widescreen monitor thingie though. hehe

Yeah, its mostly just me wanting to buy something hehe..

And yeah roughly 10 sek per euro, 2500 is about 260.

Anandtech has tested the new capabilities in Dx12 to mix GPUs from AMD and Nvidia.

As it stands the Ashes of the Singularity multi-GPU tech demo is just that, a tech demo for a game that itself is only in Alpha testing. There are still optimizations to be made and numerous bugs to be squashed. But despite all of that, seeing AMD and NVIDIA video cards working together to render a game is damn impressive.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9740/directx-12-geforce-plus-radeon-mgpu-preview/4

Edited by Kunasha
fixed the link fail

If they get that working smoothly it will be awesome. Just throw in a new card as primary and let the old one tag along for some extra..

Wonder if you need both nvidia and catalyst drivers if you go amd+nvidia.

Epic fail on doing reference point on only one card... 

picard-facepalm-o.gif

Why?

It's just a quick look that the cards work together in dx12.

Edited by Cogency

Making a reference point for one card, proves that how?

They might as well state that bananas and smoked donkey cock taste the same by only taking a bite of the banana... 

The performance increase? Or do you think the AMD card was running half power in the first test, or that the weaker Nvidia card added starts to use the AMD card as a bridge to the monitor? :P

As said before this was just a quick look at it in the computer no fancy testing benchmark, just how you would show someone in real life I guess.. If you want something more elaborate you can read Anandtech's preview for example.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9740/directx-12-geforce-plus-radeon-mgpu-preview

Anyway, I really hope this will be picked up also by game developers. It will make upgrading your graphics card and keeping your old one (no matter the brand) alot more interesting. 

Edited by Cogency

I just wonder about the whole "2 sets of drivers that need to be updated or could cause issues with the latest games" issue, which surely must exist

The performance increase? Or do you think the AMD card was running half power in the first test, or that the weaker Nvidia card added starts to use the AMD card as a bridge to the monitor? :P

As said before this was just a quick look at it in the computer no fancy testing benchmark, just how you would show someone in real life I guess.. If you want something more elaborate you can read Anandtech's preview for example.

The problem is that they do not say what two cards are used. Just that it is a radeon and a Nvidia card. For all I know this might as well "prove" that processing is shifted entirely to the second card which is better than the first card.

But if this is going to work close to flawlessly it will be a huge plus for those of us who build our own PC's.

The AMD is an r9 nano and the nvidia is a 980, they mention it around the 3:40 mark, and the amd card can be read on the screen during the benchmark too..

The Nano is supposed to be faster than the 980, so i dont think the 980 magically doubled the fps of the nano on its own.

Edited by Drexa

Thx for pointing that out Drexa. No idea how I missed that. Why did they not say all that at the beginning like a normal presentation?!

That would be too easy!

Maybe they are setting a new trend for benchmarks, cards will be mentioned randomly somewhere in the video so you have to watch every second of it :P

In other news, Catalyst is getting a new look and will be called Radeon from now on.

Okay so new PC coming up, gotta buy tomorrow to cash in on some good deals and avoid Christmas headaches.

Can't decide between a 970, 980 or 980Ti. It's gonna be coupled with an i7-6700K and 16GB of DDR4-3000 RAM.

A 970 seems too low, I was originally going to go with a 980 but everywhere/everyone I ask tells me that it has the worst price/peformance ratio.

I'm gonna be gaming @ 1080p/60 with a second monitor of the same resolution. Is a 980Ti overkill or my only choice if I don't want to go as low as a 970? I've had some people tell me to get a 970 then use the money I save to upgrade to the equivalent card in a couple of years, but wouldn't a 980Ti have decent resale value too?

Hjalp!

Edited by smash