Cogency

AMD & Nvidia gfx blabla.

rule of thumb for single cards is:

ATI R9 270x for 1080p @ £120 Why? because otherwise you'd be paying £150 more for little gain (apart from futureproofing ie getting a better monitor) the R9 270 will run any current game on full settings @1920x1200

Nvidia 970/980 for 1440+ @ £270 and if you want to future proof, but give it a year and this card will cost the same as above.

£ used as Euro is crap :)

My GPU (HD6970) has started to show it's age lately, can't run some of the games on max anymore.. Unacceptable! xD

My last 3 gpu's have all been ATI, even my 10 year old laptop had an ATI too so was considering trying Nvidia.. However I do like eyefinity.. increasing the field of view seems the most inmersive thing you can do prior to going full VR Headset thingy.

I'm currently playing at 1080p and I decided some while back that I couldn't find monitors with bezel sizes that didn't put me off and wanted an ultra-wide monitor, for which I had a number of pre-requisites (and pricing) which have not yet been met.. Not entirely sure how these work though. Am I better off with AMD's Eyefinity or does that not even apply to ultra-wide? How is Nvidia tackling the whole ultra-wide concept, idea... thing?

Keeping that in mind, what do you all think I should go for?

I was considering the following:

ATI R9 290

http://www.pccomponentes.com/sapphire_r9_290_tri_x_oc_uefi_4gb_gddr5.html

GTX 970

http://www.pccomponentes.com/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_970_windforce_3x_oc_4gb_ddr5_reacondicionado.html

That site is pretty much our best option in Spain, at least that's the case for me in the Balearic islands...

It's called Nvidia Surround. Same thing as Eyefinity.

Edited by Cogency

As far as I can tell the gtx970 offers more bang for your buck (at those prices anyway), a more powerful card with lower power draw to boot. Can't comment on how well either handles ultra wide aspects though.

Just to add I've always used ATI cards but got fed up with the noise and heat so recently switched to an Asus 960 strix and couldn't be happier.

The 970 has a factory flaw though. When the card uses more than 3.5 GB of its total 4GB memory, it slows down. There are class action lawsuits rolling out and bla bla bla.

It still works, but know that it has a built in factory flaw before you buy it.

Yea I read about the shit storm with that gpu kinda put me off... Think I'll wait for a while which sucks cause playing ESO with my current gpu is rather painful (which is why I haven't been playing). Was perfectly fine during release but have lost around 20-30 frames since then.. The lighting patch they did last summer was terrible for my frames.

I don't suppose there is a way of limiting the cards use of memory so that it doesn't encounter that problem?

It doesnt slow down really.

I have the 970 and I game at 1440p and its no problem.

Just read up on it.

It doesnt slow down really.

I have the 970 and I game at 1440p and its no problem.

Just read up on it.

Yeah, it was just blown out of proportions. Like always when big companies make mistakes.

There's been a price leak on the new gtx 980ti.... Probably gonna retail for 900 eur in Sweden. For once I hope amd can pull a miracle out of their asses and force Nvidia to lower with at least 300 eur.

AMD are announcing something on 16th June. Might be VR related though

I'm getting Gigabytes 980ti with their 3rd party cooler which has tested very solid. Should cover me for few years to come, which I find acceptable at ~800€. At least better than the pricing on Titan, and it's been 2 years since my last upgrade. If I was on a tighter budget I'd go with an older model though. 

Edited by Sinful

the 980Ti overclocked gets me in Titan performance ranges at 4k, and blows away pretty much anything in a lesser resolution.

Very decent upgrade from the 780gtx which was pushing 2 years old, and is now a 2nd screen/Physics card only.

Tempted by a 980ti reference card, a water block, and a second radiator right now

Witcher 3 on Ultra, card hit 73 degrees with only stock cooling.

Under load for 3dmark for 2 hr, only reached 81 degrees

Got my Gigabyte 980ti with the 3rd party cooler today, hype! Will install it tonight, push it a bit and report how it performs! 

Well, this was worth! Haven't broken 70 degrees yet in Witcher 3 Ultra (and haven't seen below 70 fps @2560x1440 even with my 3-4 year old processor/mobo), The Gigabyte comes factory clocked to 1152/1241 (base is 1000/1075) and my case is far from the best for temps since it's built with some soundproofing materials whatevs.

People are pushing 1400 MHz with these without even touching the voltage, so I'll experiment once I'm done drooling over how good Witcher 3 looks!

I still stand by that there's more bang for the buck to be had with older cards, but since I have a bit of extra buck why not bang louder :)

Edited by Sinful

Getting more tempted. The water is mainly for noise, but also ambient room temperature. My computer is in the bedroom after all

Goodstuff! I might get a second 970 I think when Battlefront gets released. My 1440p could do with that extra umpf also.

hmmm.... reading that the 390X (8GB) beats the 980TI and Titan X in benchmarks, and is cheaper too ....

well, when I have paid for a couple of large bills I always get in June, I will see what I have left and make a choice.

my 2x5870 do still work ok, but not at ultra in all games at 1440p, especially not in fullscreen window

Wednesday we'll know how it really holds up against the 980ti.

Gonna be interesting to see. :)

Edited by Cogency