Sign in to follow this  
Tornaattori

Sharing PC's screen to TV using LAN

Yeah so like the topic says, I'm looking for a way to make my TV (Samsung UE40C7705) display my PC's screen, using an ethernet cable.

I'd like to clarify that I'm not just talking about streaming video/music, I'm talking about using my TV as my computer screen using LAN instead of a VGA/DVI-D/HDMI cable between PC-TV (Samsung support had major difficulties understanding this).

I was a bit clumsy when I planned the wiring in my home and left out the possibility for a cable between my PC and my TV. I would still like to use my TV as my computer screen every now and then, but I've had no luck using Samsung's software.

What I do have cable-wise, is 2x cat6 UTP cables from TV to router and 2x cat6 UTP from PC to router.

I know I could buy a HDMI-extender and use one (worst case two) pairs of my ethernet cables for this purpose, but it would be a very expensive solution as I'm currently using both cables from router -> TV and one from PC -> router.

What I need is some sort of software that could handle this, or possibly a networked media player/jukebox (TViX, Popcorn Hour etc..) as I'm planning on buying a new one anyway, or maybe there's some completely other kind of solution I haven't even thought of.

Any ideas?

Sign in to follow this