Sign in to follow this  
Netster

Kindle

Was just about to buy one when I thought it's probably best to check if anyone has had any bad experiences with them. All the reviews and product descriptions are so positive it seems almost too good to be true.

Getting the one with the free 3G as I don't have a wireless router.

No, I don't want an ipad.

I've been toying with the idea for a while now.

They're good, but locked into the amazon store. Each brand of e-reader has this drawback at the moment.

I've been holding off hoping that it will eventually go the way music did (drm free, platform agnostic), yet freeing up all the space that our books take up is a very tempting offer.

I love that the kindle has such huge battery life. I still buy regular books, but I have been thinking alot about getting one. I do enjoy having my books in the bookshelf though, that is a problem!

I had a Kindle until it disappeared(don't ask). I still miss it. It was awesome as hell.

I recommend reading Diamond Age from Neal Stephenson on it, for added brave new world-feelings.

My mother was given one as a gift.. gotta say she likes it and no problems with it at all! I don't know anything about models but I would recommend one in general

Oh yeah, Netster. You must exercise discipline. I had to limit myself to only buying 2-3 books in advance. Then read them and buy the next 2-3. The shop interface, and the ease with which you pick up books, can make for a very large and very unread collection of books. :P

I was just going to subscribe to The Guardian and download classic novels which are all free as they're out of copyright. I tend to read a lot of massive non-fiction books as well and the thought of having something ergonomic to read them on is very very tempting.

There are sites that offer ebooks in Kindle format, how does Amazon control this?

The only way I'd say Amazon control it, is by giving the market for the kindle (generally a mature group) the ease of shopping for exactly what they want, when typically they might find it more difficult otherwise.

Not saying everyone past 25 can't do online shopping but Amazon is a highly respected name to those unfamiliar with the vast intertubes we have here!

I have a kindle, its awesomesauce!!

there are many special Libaries out there that are free.

not just amazon

Been using it a few days now and there's a couple of things they really need to sort out for future versions.

1. Make the Page Control buttons programmable. I want Page Forward on the right and Page Back on the left, not both controls on both sides. I know it's like this for left handed people but it's not very intuitive for right handed people.

2. The dictionary needs to be an integrated tool so you can highlight the word and get the definition in an overlay. It's annoying having to exit out and use the dictionary which is basically just a separate book, then Back all the way up to the page you were reading.

Other than that it's really nice :)

Actually I'm a fucking idiot. Just found out how to highlight a word and get the definition at the top of the screen.

Should work the same as anywhere else in the world.

I tried the android version last night. It's okay, but obviously the e-ink device is easier on the eyes.

I have to say my kindle is quite possibly one of my all time best buys. I hsave it with me ALL the time.

One problem though is I love reading while having a soak in the bath.... I solved it by putting the kindle in a resealable freezer bag :D I'll be off to florida next month and I plan to take some bag with me there too for reading by the pool in jacuzzi etc...

I now have a library of about 30,000 books on my pc, never going to read them all but choice is king

Netster wrote on Fri, 26 August 2011 12:23
Actually I'm a fucking idiot.

Hi, welcome. Glad to have you aboard. Free cookies on wednesdays and fridays, we meet once a years in a random thread and you may troll whenever you feel like it.

Sign in to follow this