Photo

New Computer / Tablet / Screen set up. Get geeky.

• Please log in to reply

#1 Cupe Cupe

Thu, 13 April 2017 11:43

Need new computer. Has money to spend. Want advice from bigger geeks that I am myself. 

My mac is 8 years old and starting to fail. I've lost the ability to have more than 1 internal HD and it's all slowing up. I've cleaned out my machine, reinstalled firmware and done the business trying to fix it. No gain, move on. 

---

What I want: (prices in euro of what my budget is)

Good PC - up to 1,600
Gaming set up mostly, with a good processor. I'll want to render video and use some heavy CPU design software. 8GB graphics card and ability to install at least 2 HDs. SSD for windows install and software/games - standard HD for files. I'll want a motherboard with availability to add extra's to it later. I'll only have 1 screen directly plugged into the PC. The more USB ports the better! I connect like 9 things to mac at present (scanners, printers etc).

Need everything, I am changing from a mac so I don't have any old components to match into this. 

I asked David for advice on a rig two years ago and like a champ he just reeled off a lovely machine with powerpacks and everything. That would be amazing. 

Surface Pro - up to 800
I want something that will double up for a few uses. I'm looking at using the Surface Pro as sort of a drawing tablet, second screen, and for it to be portable and replace the need for a laptop which I can take with me when needed. So I guess I will need a software and some sort of dock for it. 

So, for example what I want is the ability to drag a file I am working on from the PC to the surface pro make some changes with my pen / using it at as drawing tablet and then drag it back seamlessly to carry on working on it from the PC, if that's possible?

I've looked at software like Synergy and Spacecake. Anyone actually tried this and has some experience to offer on what I am looking for? When it doubles up as second screen in the dock, it would be ace if I can move the mouse across to it and interact with it. If I cannot, that's okay - it doesn't matter too much.

The tablet doesn't need to be a powerhouse I guess, I'll want to spend as little as I can get away with on it. I'll want to remote connect it to the PC and use the PCs power I would think for the most part, it does need some power to be able to run adobe software and use it on the go though.

Screen - 500 
Already decided. Dell UP2716D. I need good colour balance for my work. 

Notes 
Happy to build it myself, I know what I am doing there. All in all I am looking to spend about 3G euro for the PC, Tablet and Screen. That can be stretched higher is needed, and if it can be done cheaper, fantastic! 

I am looking for a beasty computer. With a lovely screen, which can interact with a surface pro as a second screen / drawing tablet. With the Pro also doubling up as a 'laptop' for design work only. 

Computer needs to be of a spec for gaming and design. So good everything I guess. I have about 3000 for all three, if you have better idea's of distributing the budget than I penciled in above, feel free. It can be stretched if required. 

Thanks a lot guys!

Edited by Cupe, Thu, 13 April 2017 11:52.

#2 Fastas Fastas

Thu, 13 April 2017 13:48

Nothing like buying new computer gear to cleanse the soul and the wallet. Looks like a nice fresh start mate!

#3 Cogency Cogency Lord and stuff.

Thu, 13 April 2017 14:05

Your documents/pictures/music etc folders in windows are synced with OneDrive, so if you save there (or just add a folder manually) you can access those files from anywhere you are. You can also set those folders to share over HOMEGROUP, so you can access them faster through wifi.

Works pretty damn well, have a look at the whole OneDrive thing. 

For the computer; 

i7 7700k

GTX1070 GPU, if budget is enough have a look at the 1080 or the Ti. 

Im not sure 800 for the Surface Pro is enough. Because you want atleast the i5 in my opinion, if you want to do workstuff on it. Also the Dock for it is pretty expensive (200?). And if you want the keyboard for it, thats another 100...

Edited by Cogency, Thu, 13 April 2017 14:10.

#4 Kunasha Kunasha The Almighty One

Thu, 13 April 2017 19:49

Dock isn't needed, just get a mini display port to hdmi cable and run it through the other input on your monitor if you need to

If you are doing onedrive, cheapest way to get 5tb is the office 365 subscription, you get 1tb per user, 5 users, and can create them all for yourself if you want to.

#5 Cupe Cupe

Fri, 14 April 2017 13:27

Okay, well I guess I don't need a dock, I'll want it to act as a second screen and use my PC's mouse keyboard when using it like that... I will need some sort of stand for it to be able to be to the left of my current monitor though. 

The cloud thing is pretty cool. I have found some software where I can just drag between the two screens (without using it as a second screen - it's connected via Bluetooth)... so it acts like that but it uses it's own power when the file moves across to it. Sounds good cause then I can just pick the pro up and move away with it, which is what I want when using it as a drawing tablet. 

So you think the i5 surface pro which is like 1100? Hmm, okay. I'll look further into the difference is specs. It will need some power and it will double / replace the need for a laptop. 

Anyone got any good motherboards / towers to recommend? 

Cheers boys!

Edited by Cupe, Fri, 14 April 2017 13:30.

#6 Fluffypops / Punkin Fluffypops / Punkin

Sat, 15 April 2017 21:54

So for the draggy droppy tablety stuff is use this:

http://www.stardock....icity/index.asp

it says this on the page...

"Quickly and Securely Drag/Drop and Copy/Paste between PCs"

and its $40....

#7 Fluffypops / Punkin Fluffypops / Punkin

Sat, 15 April 2017 21:59

(also i love my surface pro4 - but they are pricey you could look at a lenovo yoga or acer viersa thingy)

#8 Cogency Cogency Lord and stuff.

Sat, 15 April 2017 23:53

Yeah, there are ofcourse more options these days. Worth looking into.

#9 Sammerkand Sammerkand

Tue, 18 April 2017 15:50

i Bought this on Friday.

CASE

Corsair Crystal Series 570X ATX Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ front/Top & Both Side tempered glass

CPU:

INTEL® Core™ i7-7700K Quad Core 4.20 GHz 8MB Cache LGA1151 + HD Graphics *** Pro OC ***

CASE FAN: Maximum Airflow with 3 x 120mm Thermaltake Digitally Controlled RGB Ring 12 Fans Premium Edition

CPU FAN:

Cooler Master Seidon 240V High Performance Liquid Cooling system w/ 240mm Radiator (Cooler Master CPU Water Cooling *** Extreme OC ***)

HDD Main

500 GB Samsung 850 EVO SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Drive)

HDD2

1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)

MEMORY

32GB (4x8GB) DDR4/3200mhz Dual Channel Memory (HyperX Fury w/Heat Spreader)

MOTHERBOARD

MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon INTEL Z270 Chipset, ATX Mainboard w/ 4 RAM slots, USB 3.1, 3 x PCIe 3.0 x16, 3 x PCIe 3.0 x1,

6 SATA3, 2 x M.2

NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

OVERCLOCK: Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more)

POWERSUPPLY

750 Watts Power Supplies [+17] (Corsair 750 Watts CX750 Gaming Power Supply, 80+)

SOUND

HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD AUDIO

VIDEO

2 x MSI GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Video Card VR READY (SLI)

WNC: Addon PCI-E Wireless 802.11n 300Mbps Network Interface Card

#10 Lyngs Lyngs

Tue, 18 April 2017 16:03

That is a beast of a PC!

#11 Sammerkand Sammerkand

Tue, 18 April 2017 16:06

should last me 3 or 4 years, 

the i7 980x i have in the old one is still relevant in today's world but the sockets have taken a bettering so there are only 2 usb 3.o working ports left on it. With Occulus rift and other things, 2 is not enough, even with external expansions.

I could have just bought a new motherboard, but where is the fun in that.

#12 Lyngs Lyngs

Tue, 18 April 2017 17:24

I could have just bought a new motherboard, but went full TILT.

Fixed ;)

#13 Fastas Fastas

Tue, 18 April 2017 17:30

Must have been the day for it Friday, I ordered the last of my bits for my new build. I won't list everything here I'll do a build thread soon. Might take a week or two though as the 1080ti's and the waterblocks for them are bought but pre-ordered as not yet released, later this week or next. I did get the water pump/res combos today, they look pretty cool, just hope I don't bugger it all up putting it together!

#14 Tumble Tumble

Wed, 19 April 2017 12:22

What monitor do you use Sammer?

#15 Sammerkand Sammerkand

Wed, 19 April 2017 17:33

i use multiple monitors,

The main one is a 34inch curved ultra wide samsung running at 3440 x 1440 @120hz

2nd monitor is a Benq 28 inch normal at 2560 x 1440

occasionally if i am working projects i will add a 3rd monitor, but that just depends on whats free in the house at the time.

Sam.

#16 Cupe Cupe

Fri, 21 April 2017 08:40

That's a monster Sammer, a little more monster than I am willing to spend / build. Maybe just 1 of those graphics cards will do, hmm? :D

#17 Tumble Tumble

Fri, 21 April 2017 10:39

Yeh 1 is plenty really! 2x is for the wealthy/bragging rights haha

#18 Cogency Cogency Lord and stuff.

Fri, 21 April 2017 11:05

Or if you have 3x x34 monitor setup. Only then you are a real baller, hero, king. (Hint hint)

#19 Kunasha Kunasha The Almighty One

Fri, 21 April 2017 11:25

Definitely. I run most stuff at 60 fps 1440p, ultra settings and even AA on a 980ti.

#20 Fastas Fastas

Fri, 21 April 2017 12:07

The uplift in performance of the 1080ti over everything else means a single one of them has to be plenty for any normal gaming set up, they really are beastly. That said, two are better (usually) but may need a bit or work to maximise the performance in your games. Cost versus additional performance is the blocker for most people.

Your PSU is a bit close to the knuckle there Sammer. You have 500w in the gpu's, a bit more head room for your overclocking and everything else without your psu working so hard would be a good plan.

Edited by Fastas, Fri, 21 April 2017 13:17.

#21 Sammerkand Sammerkand

Fri, 21 April 2017 17:08

i have a 1200w at home (brand new), the 750 was the smallest i could buy with the setup.

I will swap them over once it arrives.

Edited by Sammerkand, Fri, 21 April 2017 17:09.

#22 Fastas Fastas

Fri, 21 April 2017 17:36

i have a 1200w at home (brand new), the 750 was the smallest i could buy with the setup.

I will swap them over once it arrives.

Good call mate.