Forum Got Updated Read more... ×
Cogency

3D Mark 11 - Now Timespy!

7970 officially went back this weekend :) I had chance to test both cards with my exact setup.

With both cards at stock the GTX 670 totally kicked the 7970 in all benchmarks which is 100% to do with the turbo boost overclocking on the 670 and the 7970 core clock being really low at stock.

Overclocking both cards to max stable they came out really close but the 670 still just beating it. Now if the 7970 voltage hadn't been locked it probably would have gone much higher or if I were using higher resolutions than 1080p the 7970 may have performed better.

In the end I just felt better about the GTX 670, it was also a bit quieter and didn't have any coil whine.

Also I don't really understand that level stuff on your bios. From the little graph thing it looks like the higher levels actually drop the vcore when loading? *Boggle* Could understand if it were the other way round.

I'd certainly just set it to level 1 like you have though :)

Fastas wrote on Thu, 24 May 2012 13:40
adee wrote on Thu, 24 May 2012 14:12
Just fitted a palit jetstream GTX670, nice looking little card.

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3498712

I got the 680 version on release, very happy with it Smile

I did have the 680 version on pre order but after seeing the reviews on the 670 and the fact that i dont use any crazy resolutions i thought i might aswell save myself some pennys and get this one instead.

Kunasha wrote on Wed, 09 May 2012 17:35
Kunasha wrote on Wed, 04 May 2011 17:00
without rebooting

P7190 http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1140733

I'm not upgrading my graphics cards, so will be interesting as to how this will compare

7900 @ stock http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3610428 (RAM @ 1600)

8453 @ 4.2 with 1.088v, 1.09 in bios. RAM @ 2000

30mins of the max heat prime95 test takes me to very slight fan to hover 69 to 75c, but still quieter than my water pump.

That's enough until my arctic silver beds in

I have doubled my score, pretty much:

P16176 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/10604104

That's with 3570k @ 4200MHz, RAM @ 2000MHz

GTX 980TI core @ 1231MHz, boosting to stable 1433MHz and VRAM @3903MHz  

The GPU is still stock voltage and a reference cooler until I get around to putting it under water, so I've only gone for a modest overclock at the moment.

Its still a strong setup! Only reason I had to upgrade was because my stuff was 7 years old and started to show some problems. :/ 

Edited by Cogency

You should take the opportunity to install BDO for a bit and run around solo getting knowledge in Remastered mode. It's very pretty and won't cost you anything

That second card is giving you quite an improvement over my result, but how often do you run fullscreen and use it? It is is this point that made me revert to 1 card for my last upgrade, and probably my future ones too

You no longer need to run fullscreen to take advantage of SLI, at least not on Nvidia cards. The difference between window/fullscreen is just a few FPS - Since I still run my triple monitor setup, I need the extra card if I want to run "Ultra" and keep a steady 60 fps.

Since they switched to AFR mode for like, all games nowadays, SLI and Crossfire works pretty much across the board and gives you ~90% increase. Downside is of course massive heat and poor heat removal from between the cards, especially if you don't run reference design.

There is a huge downside though, because it's very difficult to upgrade - If I want to upgrade now, I need more than a 2080ti, since that is equivalent to what I run now. Same with the surround monitor thing, if I want to upgrade these aging Dell IPS 1080 monitors, I have to buy 3 new ones and well, considering the amount of games I play nowadays, it's very hard to justify.

That being said, unless I increase the amount of pixels by buying new monitors with higher resolutions, these GPUs will last me quite a while longer, as long as they don't break.

My last dual card setup was crossfire, and a while ago now (980ti replaced it). I only had the benefit when playing fullscreen back then.

Your next viable upgrade sounds like a bigger and wider monitor, losing horizontal pixel count but gaining vertical. Possibly adding in gsync to future proof your current cards for longer.

I'm with you on the justification though, definitely getting harder

Just get one, 43 inch 4k monitor, games on my look fantastic. 

also, when wearing the occulus rift, you cant see the monitors....

On a serious note, wait for black Friday sales on amazon, a friend works there and has indicated they are looking to clear out stocks of some older monitors en masse.