Forum Got Updated Read more... ×
Cogency

AMD & Nvidia gfx blabla.

o.O you can actually play BDO with that ancient card?

*hat off*

yes and i use to run it on high, but recently downgraded to medium cuz of world bosses. It plays everything else too Fallout 4, The Witcher 3, XCOM 2 and GTA5... some occasional chopiness in those but nothing game-breaking.

Edited by Mitxuko

Says how much of these generational upgrades actually boost the performance -.-

Actually considering saving a bit more and going for 1080, always went for x70 cards, might be good to stretch and go for x80 this time :)

"Now here is the GeForce GTX 1080 (with partner boards possibly cheaper and faster) providing 30% better performance in every game thrown at it." Think I got slightly hard. The only question is can I wait until the board partners come up with factory overclocked versions, or should I just buy the founder edition..

"Later this year" wishful thinking. TIs won't be out until '17, they will want to milk 1080s for more than 6 months. If last generation is any indication it will be 10 months.

Edited by Mitxuko

Personally I would wait unless you're desperate for an upgrade.

Currently AMD are cornering the console GPU market and producing APIs that don't necessarily play nice with the way NVIDIA produce their hardware.

NVIDIA = big die, higher single die performance, lower yields (higher price)

AMD = small(er) die, lower single die performance, higher yields (lower price)

Interesting part. Their new APIs and the way that games are starting to be optimised for console is to increase the amount of distributed programming that can be performed (CrossFire/SLI) and with the new Vulkan API there's going to be a very nice increase in performance in this area. This is where AMD's tactic of "going wide" will help them. If distributed GPU delivers what it promises, AMD's high yields of small dies means they can put physically more dies onto a GPU (shader cores) that although run at a lower speed individually, increase the processing capacity of the device. Combine that with how cheaply you could pick up a second card and multi-GPU setups seem like the future (rather than something you do when you have too much money...). NVIDIA will start to lose out because of their low yields and fewer cores.

What's interesting though is that the new Pascal arch. has been, well, gimped, for gamers. If you check out the new features, and some of the really powerful ones, you're looking at something like NV-LINK. This is amazing for super-computing, but not worth anything for gamers. It seems like NVIDIA may only want to keep up with that market rather than trying to push in this new one. I'm not sure...

In either case I'm interested to see where it goes. If we can get higher performance, cheaper that's great! I hope NVIDA and AMD keep pushing each other to make better cards :)

FYI I'm an NVIDIA owner. GTX 980 ti (overclocked), but the work AMD is doing is genuinely interesting :)

Was pleasantly surprise today at work :The beast has arrived :D My co-workers officially thinks i'm crazy but that's alright ! Gonna try to hold off until next week for the new computer to come along, but i want to hook it up so bad.

L3lJqrj.jpg?1

Edited by Mitxuko

Was pleasantly surprise today at work :The beast has arrived :D My co-workers officially thinks i'm crazy but that's alright ! Gonna try to hold off until next week for the new computer to come along, but i want to hook it up so bad.

L3lJqrj.jpg?1

Niiice, I'm so jelly :(

Also dont wait just hook it up, and see how it makes BDO run on your old rig, for science and stuff!

Pricing is the big difference though! Launch price on the GeForce GTX TITAN X was $1200, and this new GeForce GTX 1080 Ti is $699. NVIDIA is claiming the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti will be faster than the GeForce GTX TITAN X, so we will test that claim.

How is this logical? The TI is better, but TITAN X is so much more expensive.

because the titan x was released 2 years ago and you can't really get them anymore

hmm, ok so they did release a card of same name last August too

I dunno then

hmm, ok so they did release a card of same name last August too

I dunno then

ya, with pascal.

May 31st AMD will (probably) announce their new VEGA GPU cards. There are high hopes they will give Nvidia a run for their money due to some 3dmark scores that popped up on the web not to long ago. 

Heres to hoping! Competition is good for us. (also, my monitor supports freesync, hehe. So a strongk card would be sweet)

Edited by Cogency

Was hoping it would be able to contest the 1080TI. I guess it is still better to have a semi competition rather than just one option. 

I will stay on team Green for now.

Dont you have a Gsync monitor? 

Depending on the price it might get interesting, I have a Freesync monitor so if the price is decent I might consider it. :) But the problem lately is the cryptocoin miners. They buy fucktons of AMD cards (better) doing very little for the price and availability. 

But Nvidia will dish out a refresh later this year also, so the price really needs to be great.

Edited by Cogency

Dont you have a Gsync monitor? 

Depending on the price it might get interesting, I have a Freesync monitor so if the price is decent I might consider it. :) But the problem lately is the cryptocoin miners. They buy fucktons of AMD cards (better) doing very little for the price and availability. 

But Nvidia will dish out a refresh later this year also, so the price really needs to be great.

I do have a G-sync monitor. 

I can not see the Vega's being an option at all, sadly, even if they were 25% cheaper. The power consumption would eat that saving in a matter of months if you are a avid gamer.

Edited by Lyngs

Some guy on a different site did a calcuation and said it would eat (dutch prices) about 29euro more a year if you have the card running full load every day for 3hours. (compared to a 1080)

So that is not that bad. Especially not if its really gonna be 25% cheaper, haha. Ill gladly take it then. :P But not interested if you leave the computer on all day with an MMO in the foreground. hehe

The AMD HD4870 was one of the best selling cards ever, wasnt as fast as nividia's top line and not as power conserving either but pricing was just perfect for what it did. If they can do that again, it will be good times! But sadly I'm afraid with all those f*cking miners that it wont happen. :(

Edited by Cogency