Forum Got Updated Read more... ×
Cogency

AMD & Nvidia gfx blabla.

Can you leave the GPU till March? Nvidia should be releasing the whole new architecture then (Pascal), possibly 1070 first and it should be better than either of the above due to the smaller die

Can you leave the GPU till March? Nvidia should be releasing the whole new architecture then (Pascal), possibly 1070 first and it should be better than either of the above due to the smaller die

Not really, I've been waiting a long time already and not being able to run Fallout 4 properly has pushed me over the edge. In addition I know someone who works at this place who can get me a 5% discount on top of ~£150 worth of new release games and free next day delivery by combining some offers provided I can order before the end of tomorrow when they all end.

With that said I'm toning down my original £1,600 build (Which included a 980Ti, new monitor and peripherals) to an £800 one with a 970 and a 6600K, I think I'll hold off on my big splurge until things like DX12 and 1440p/4K are bedded in in 2-3yrs, the new mobo architecture should allow me to upgrade everything then..

Do you think 16GB of DDR4 is worth getting or should I just get 8GB? Again purely for gaming at 1080p60fps.

For what its worth I think the 980 is a great card, especially if you pick one up with some kind of offer. The Ti wasn't out when I bought mine but I still probably would have gone for the 980 because of price.

The whole issue with the memory on the 970 put me off, but I didn't research that much about it.

I think the 980 is still 170euro more expensive than the 970? give or take? The 980ti seems overkill for 1080p. Unless you have some badass gaming monitor.

Just go with the 970, its strong enough for 1080p.  Keep your money for the big bang that is needed when VR will hit.

I know there was some drama around the 970, but it's one of the best selling cards because price performance ratio is really good. And most people still game at 1080p and for the next 3 years this card will run almost every new game on atleast high due to consoles.

Eurogamer fallout 4 hardware test;

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-the-best-pc-hardware-for-fallout-4-4023

Edited by Cogency

Thanks for the tips. The truth is that I don't "upgrade", I keep a PC for a long time then buy an entirely new one.

I'm gonna wait for Black Friday & Cyber Monday in the hopes that the 980Ti will get discounted deeply enough to make it worth it and if so I'll go for it.

Oh PS. I can't do 3D because of a thing with my eyes - does that mean VR/AR won't work for me either?

Edited by smash

Thanks for the tips. The truth is that I don't "upgrade", I keep a PC for a long time then buy an entirely new one.

I'm gonna wait for Black Friday & Cyber Monday in the hopes that the 980Ti will get discounted deeply enough to make it worth it and if so I'll go for it.

Oh PS. I can't do 3D because of a thing with my eyes - does that mean VR/AR won't work for me either?

VR and AR is quite different than 3d, so might work for you.

I gave in, I have an EVGA 980ti superclocked reference design coming tomorrow, along with a waterblock, 280 radiator, and fittings

I want to buy DDR4-3000 memory, since it's actually cheaper than 2400 from where I'm buying.

My motherboard supports it but has (O.C) in brackets which I assume means I'll need to tweak it - how easy is this? I know I have to play with voltages but is it a huge hassle or will it just work?

No, bit since Sandy bridge (2xxx) series, it's very easy. However, processors newer than Sandy bridge do not over lock as well. Most of the time max over lock is 15%

Ivy bridge easily go to 25% at least the 3570k (3.4Ghz) does 4.2 to 4.5 Ghz fairly easy

Got back up at 3am this morning to bite the bullet and order the new parts (they were doing a promotion where the first X orders would get £75 of peripherals and a free SSD upgrade and I couldn't sleep).

Got an i5-6600K, GTX 970 and 16GB of DDR4-3000 system. All in all after Black Friday & employee discounts the whole thing (including an SSD, liquid cooler, case, PSU etc.) cost me £732 which I'm pretty happy about. It's overclockable (which I'll be doing), upgradable and I'll probably be emigrating in 6-8 months so it should hold its value well enough that I don't have to worry about shipping it, if for whatever reason I stay in the UK I'm on the new chipset and have a solid PSU so I can drop a better GPU/CPU/more RAM in in 2-3yrs if new releases start slowing down on it.

Now the stuff needs to hurry the fuck up and get here so I can finally get my teeth into the Fallout 4 I bought over a week ago!

Thanks guys! See you all online in Lineage 2 Classic & TeamSpeak on the 15th to test out this new beast, can't wait!!!

Bought a MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Gaming for 650 euro. Selling my old 780 ti and the division code I got for roughly 230 euro, making back a nice chunk :-), and when "1080 ti" is released I sell this one and get that. This one should give me a nice boost in bdo.

1080 & 1070 got announced today, they 

Wonder how fast the 1080 will be in real world applications, but if you look at this image....  :o

146257475186RfBy5ugz_1_2_l.jpg

*deep breaths*..... I better start saving for 1070 (1080 is waaay over my budget :P), should see a decent performance bump going from 770 to 1070 i think :)

Got a 970 and also thinking about it... but that would mean I have a good enough GPU for a new monitor... Acer x34 was looking too appealing.

I'm still running a 560Ti, think i will buy the 1080 as soon as i see some actual benchmarks. The question is, order a x34 with it or not.

Edited by Mitxuko

I plan going from 580 :P

my pc has a radeon 4750...... i havent been gaming on it for a while now :P think the most recent game is diablo 3 :P

I'm still running a 560Ti, think i will buy the 1080 as soon as i see some actual benchmarks. The question is, order a x34 with it or not.

o.O you can actually play BDO with that ancient card?

*hat off*

My laptop runs it on a nvidia gt520m. My tablet runs it on an intel hd 4400.

Both are perfectly playable for stuff not massively demanding.