Forum Got Updated Read more... ×
Cogency

AMD & Nvidia gfx blabla.

Right now i have a Nvidia GTX580 and thinking if i should upgrade, i can use around 160 €.

Any sugestions?

Don't think there are any upgrades to 580 for €160 that are worth it. Wait longer or spend almost double sadly =(

September 9 Nvidia might introduce their new 9xx line, the 970 & 980 will probably get introduced with benchmarks the 19th. (they are skipping 800 voor desktop)

They will use the new Maxwell GPU.

Most likely, Nvidia has utterly destroyed AMD with these two new cards..

I don't think they were that impressive, and you also better hope they would never "utterly destroy" AMD because then you would have one single manufacturer of graphics cards and they could do whatever they want.

didn't they do something awful like drop from 384bit to 256bit or something along those lines?

didn't they do something awful like drop from 384bit to 256bit or something along those lines?

They've done some changes to the hardware, LTT mentioned it on a YouTube video.

I don't think they were that impressive, and you also better hope they would never "utterly destroy" AMD because then you would have one single manufacturer of graphics cards and they could do whatever they want.

Not that impressive?! Less power, less heat, more powerful than any single card prior to them, the 970 is stupidly good for the money you get one for. Amd is out of the game in terms of pure technical specs and such, there'll always be the fan boys who'll keep buying a card simply because of the brand but beyond that, I don't see why anyone will grab a midrange card from Amd over the 970 currently. Can just hope Amd will release something soon in order to not give Nvidia free roam.

Well, if they did go from 384 to 256, then it'll be fine for 1080p, but won't really have the bandwidth for 1440p / multiscreen / 4K.

At least that is what was being said before the announcement, anyway

Not that impressive?! Less power, less heat, more powerful than any single card prior to them, the 970 is stupidly good for the money you get one for. Amd is out of the game in terms of pure technical specs and such, there'll always be the fan boys who'll keep buying a card simply because of the brand but beyond that, I don't see why anyone will grab a midrange card from Amd over the 970 currently. Can just hope Amd will release something soon in order to not give Nvidia free roam.

The 290X has the same pricetag and same performance as the 970, that is what I mean it's not at all "stupidly good for the money" - It's just good, or decent. It's not at all the new 8800GT as someone stated, which was the second most powerful card for 1200 SEK - This fucker costs 3600 SEK - Three times as expensive for the second best card. They are fucking us Muuman, they are fucking us goood!

They changed to 256bit because they changed the color compression Kunasha - The 970 performs better with 256bit than previous card with 384 bit. It is pretty impressive.

30% more efficient compression with 66.6% of the possible bandwidth. It's just a way for them to make a bigger premium on the 384bit cards later

Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) is in all three eighth-generation game consoles.

AMD is not doing that bad, they are the supplier for all next gen gaming consoles, including your PS4. ;)

Edited by Cogency

Well yeah, that's where they make most of their money, through consoles. But where I have to be involved with drivers and such I don't use them.

AMD is not doing that bad, they are the supplier for all next gen gaming consoles, including your PS4. ;)

That doesn't really help much if you're interested in PC gaming though.

But (especially since its gfx chips) doesnt it show that they are still competitive with Nvidia, and making money which they can put back into development which will also benefit graphic cards.

But (especially since its gfx chips) doesnt it show that they are still competitive with Nvidia, and making money which they can put back into development which will also benefit graphic cards.

As a business sure but then that means their R&D is going to favour chips for consoles. That'll be great for my tablet, not so much for my PC but things have been slowing down for years so perhaps it's too late anyway.